• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Latent collective psychic power.

I've been recently toying with the idea of a communal psychic presence as a way to explain magic and all the fantasy things in my story as in the humans basically imagined them in existence due to wars and strife or purely because enough people believe. I know its not an original idea because I partially for the idea from Warhammer orcs who as some of you might know are able to as a community just make a lump of metal shoot bullets without any ammo or force.

I thought it is quite intresting as while it allows me to create anything humans could imagine or that's part of human identity thinks like trolls and magic it also let's me limit them once they are created. Say for instance the magic in my world is in the form of symbols and writing but its brought to life because the only surviving books are books that write about it as no other type of magic is described any where, so people who read it start to believe that it's true but not that everyone can do it, say only wizards. Then people who beleive they are wizards or magical are given magical power by the belief that they are. It can get more and complicated as I need it to explain more intresting things

Excuse my writing I'm on a phone and basically made it up as I went. What do you guys think of it, too cliché? Too easy? Or could it be interesting and useful.

I'm not sure psychics the right word but hopefully you get my meaning.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

WooHooMan

Auror
What might be cool is if you have some kind of power dynamic. Like the people with the strongest wills have more capacity to bend the collective towards their goals.
I also really dig the idea of wizards only have power because they completely believe they do. I'd love to see a wizard character realize this and go through the whole "fall from grace followed by triumph" story arc.

Well the MC will have a far greater ability due to the "hunters" in my story of which he is one being partially thought up himself. He's a human transfused with monster blood and essence in short the actual things more complex than that but it makes him partially thought up meaning he has more awareness to this kind of thing and thus better ability to use magic and even to alter small things around him if he concentrates (so it doesn't make combat easier.) I might add a wizard like that too it or maybe in a short story if I find the right thought train thanks :).

Also to a degree kings can influence it by creating publications etc saying something true and eventually it would be but I don't think I'll have them be aware of it.