• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Learning English grammar

Lathar

Acolyte
I must confess; English is not my native language. I consider myself to be reasonably good in the English language, but there's still much to learn. My question being: does anyone know of a website or a book that's a must read for someone wanting to up their skill in the written word?

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Hello Lathar, and welcome to Mythic Scribes!!

My native language is Castilian, and even though I am good with English, I constantly have the feeling that I am always a step behind and that there will always be little details about the language escaping my grasp.

I have been learning English all my life, and my recommendation for you to improve your English skills is to start watching movies in English, TV series, News channels and also chatting in English as much as you can. Reading novels in English (thinking in the language, not translating in your head) is also very helpful, all of this leading to a natural learning which is the best.

Writing with a perfect grammar does not feel natural to the writer or the reader, in my opinion. You need to be really familiar with the language, just as native English speakers are =)

Abrahel

Scribe
Hello Lathar. I agree with Sheilawisz. Reading a good novel is a great vocabulary source, try keeping a record of all the new words you encounter, make your own sentences using them so your brain records them. Reading has a way of training the brain into the correct structures without you even noticing.
The same for songs and movies. Have fun!