• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Lioness of Kell available for pre-order

Graylorne

Archmage
This is just to announce 'Lioness of Kell' is available for pre-order!

The book becomes available on March 15, with a book tour and cover reveal.
For now I entered the book with a temporary cover, the definite one to follow on the reveal date.

It is a fully standalone novel of 439 pages, for Y.A. and older.

Blurb:
"Secure in his position as the Prince-warlock’s son, seventeen-year-old Basil is content with his solitary life of study and magic. He has a comfortable set of rooms in his father’s tower, he has his books and scrolls, and he is perfectly happy. Until the Warlockry Council summons him, and their demands sets his whole, safe existence tottering. Scared and unsure, he decides to run, and takes the first ship out of town. On board he meets Yarwan, the handsome midshipman, who awakens feelings he never knew existed.

The warrioress Maud, at eighteen already a black powerhouse of brawn, is about to graduate as a Lioness, a special duty officer answering to the Kell Queen and no one else. The Prince-warlock asks her to fetch a certain boy from a pirate town, who could be double for his son. On their way back, someone sabotages their airship and the two find themselves marooned in an ill-reputed forest. Together, the young lioness and Jurgis the lookalike run for the coast and a ship home, while finding solace in each other’s arms.

Then the four young people meet, and Basil learns of a spell that could help him. Only the spell’s creator, the infamous Black Warlock, disappeared nearly a century ago. When the four young people decide to go looking for him, they start on a path leading to an old war and unsolved mysteries that will change the world. Or kill them.

A spirited fantasy story of high adventure and romantic love, in an alternate earth setting of tropical islands, pirates, trolls and wyrms, where both magic and early modern technology flourish."

Available on Amazon and Smashwords.

Graylorne

Archmage
Pre-order has its drawbacks, I found. So ‘Lioness of Kell’ is as of this weekend available as:

- p-book through Amazon & Barnes & Noble

- e-book through Smashwords, Kobo, iBooks (rest will follow); Google Books, D2D (for Tolino and the EU market)

I found I couldn't use Smashwords coupons with pre-order, and I needed those for a LibraryThing Giveaway.

I can't change Amazon's pre-order date into publish now (only by unpublishing the ebook and then republishing), so I left that as it is. Also, Amazon CreateSpace doesn't work with pre-orders, and as I needed some p-books, I published the paperback.

If this sounds chaotic, that's how it feels to me, too. :)

Fyle

Inkling
Good luck with this! Hope it does well.

And nice website, the art for "the Broomrider of Kell" looks very nice.

The Netherlands kick a$$ by the way. ;)

Last edited:

Graylorne

Archmage
I got a very handsome 5* review of 'Lioness' on apocalypsebook.com (part of my virtual book tour). I'm vain enough to post some snippets:

"First I want to say how I love the almost steampunk quality to the fantasy setting in the book. Dirigibles, guns, mages, and so many other aspects that gave the world a great twist. Lioness of Kell is a long read in the tradition of high fantasy and it is worth every page of it."

"If you are looking for a fantasy book with diversity in it then you should definitely check this out. You get POC main female character, a disabled character, and a queer relationship."

"Bottomline: If you like fantasy, diversity, incredible worldbuilding, amazing characters, and an interesting plot, then Lioness of Kell is the perfect book for you."

I'm especially pleased, because this is what I was trying to achieve :).