• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Looking for critique and possible help

BurntToast00

Acolyte
Hey all, coming on here with a pretty simple request. I have a project I've been working on for just about 3 months now and have made considerable progress on it. It's loosely based off of and inspired from the recent game release Ghost of Tsushima. It came out near the end of last year and it's absolutely fantastic. If you're into games and all that I definitely recommend checking it out and playing through the story and even multiplayer.

Back on topic though, I'm wondering if any of you on here would be willing to provide insight/feedback on my work and possibly even provide help/assistance? I've asked some friends of mine and they've told me their opinions on it but I'd like to expand that and reach out to others. I can provide more details through replies and whatnot. I'd greatly appreciate it!

WooHooMan

Auror
Nearly every single person on this forum would be willing to help but you'd have to ask specific questions or be willing to give a lot of details on your story.

BurntToast00

Acolyte
Nearly every single person on this forum would be willing to help but you'd have to ask specific questions or be willing to give a lot of details on your story.

I'm definitely more than willing to give all the details I have so far. I just didn't want to post it all on the start of the thread cause it would've been a lot of scrolling lol

BurntToast00

Acolyte
Please do give details. I never heard about "Ghost of Tsushima" or this story it's based upon.

Definitely! Ghost of Tsushima is an open-world game that takes place during the first mongol invasion of Tsushima Island in the year of 1274. You take control of Jin Sakai, one of the last remaining Samurai warriors of his clan. The main story of the game involves reclaiming Tsushima Island from the invading Mongol forces and prevent the invasion of mainland Japan by killing the Khan and destroying their fleet. You have to set aside the traditional Samurai honor code of Bushidō and forge a new, unconventional path of the Ghost. The game is amazingly crafted and well thought out with diverse characters and an amazing environment with a captivating story.

I intend to make a story loosely based off and inspired from this game. In my version, feudalism in Japan was never abolished and the Shogunate continued to remain the highest power well into the modern day and even into the future. My plot takes place in 2045, where the nation of Japan has fallen victim to two civil wars prior in the years of 2041 and 2043. These were both attempts to overthrow the corrupt Shogun, with rebelling Samurai clans leading the opposition. Of course, their efforts were futile with 90% of the Samurai being outright killed, 5% being reincarnated as Oni nicknamed "The Banished" and the other 5% becoming wanderers/drifters. They took to naming themselves "The faceless rōnin."

My protagonist starts off as an ordinary person simply trying to make ends meet under the rule of an oppressive regime. Though it all changes when he's called up to continue the legacy of the renouned warrior known as "The Ghost" centuries later. Originally hesistant and even scared at first, he eventually comes to not only learn but embrace his new identity as the most legendary fighter in Japan's history. His mission then becomes killing the Shogun and disbanding his empire by any means necessary, freeing the people of Japan and abolishing feudalism in its entirety.

I've made considerable progress on it so far though I am having a bit of a struggle coming up with furthering the plot, but that's the general overview of it. I hope this gave you some insight!

Side note: My universe has feudal and modern Japan collide, giving it a retrowave sort of vibe and look to it. I also plan to make this a manga (Japanese comic book) as opposed to a traditional novel as I feel it fits much better with the setting.