• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Maps

Joeski

Dreamer
How important/helpful do you think it is for an author to sketch out maps of their world as they create them?

I think it’s a personal thing. I am finding it very helpful (and immensely fun) creating maps as part of my worldbuilding, and the process helps me map out the story too.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Thanks Joeski, for popping in and putting up a bunch of good questions. I suck at asking questions, and love having people who ask good ones.

Anyway....

Maps for me are a mixed bag. As a reader...I want a map. Its usually the first thing I see, and look at with any interest when opening the page. If its pretty or interesting, that is a big plus.

As an author, a map is vexing, cause once drawn, it starts to affect what I can do. I cant have a character get from point A to point B in three days, if the distance on the map clearly shows that's impossible. Impossible travel is something I wrestle with (and fudge) often.

I've tried many methods for creating maps. I have found inkarnate is met my needs. I beleive, even with some minor annoyances, I can use it to produce a map I would happily reprint in my book.

Inkarnate - Create Fantasy Maps Online

Joeski

Dreamer
Thanks Joeski, for popping in and putting up a bunch of good questions. I suck at asking questions, and love having people who ask good ones.

Anyway....

Maps for me are a mixed bag. As a reader...I want a map. Its usually the first thing I see, and look at with any interest when opening the page. If its pretty or interesting, that is a big plus.

As an author, a map is vexing, cause once drawn, it starts to affect what I can do. I cant have a character get from point A to point B in three days, if the distance on the map clearly shows that's impossible. Impossible travel is something I wrestle with (and fudge) often.

I've tried many methods for creating maps. I have found inkarnate is met my needs. I beleive, even with some minor annoyances, I can use it to produce a map I would happily reprint in my book.

Inkarnate - Create Fantasy Maps Online
Thanks for the link - i'll definitely check it out.

Thanks too for all the fantastic advice, I really appreciate it!

Mad Swede

Auror
How important/helpful do you think it is for an author to sketch out maps of their world as they create them?
I find sketch maps useful as a way of keeping track of where my characters are and how long it takes to get around. There are situations where your characters are doing one thing and something else is happening elsewhere which has an impact on the story. Those timelines need to match, and if any part of these activities involves moving between places then you need to know how long it takes.

I also use sketch maps as a way of creating a setting. Things like where food is grown, and how it gets to market (are there roads?) or things like where iron ore is mined (your smiths need to get the stuff from somewhere if they're going to make swords). Where does timber for houses and ships come from? Creating a reasonably plausible setting also helps keep the background details plausible, so that you don't stretch the readers credulity too far.

And no, my books don't include a map. The readers can use their imagination a little, in my view.

It depends a bit on the type of story you're writing.

I remember reader a Tolkien quote which said something like "fortunately I started with a map." He wrote a travelogue, and for him that idea is very true. If you travel a lot from place to place, of if you have distant places impact your story, then a map can be very helpful. Yes, it limits what you can do, but it also makes sure you don't take 3 days in chapter 1 to get from A to B and then two weeks for the same trip in chapter 12 (unless there's a good reason for that of course).

It also helps keeping things clear in your own head. If you write in an urban setting, it's nice to have a visual reminder of where all the major landmarks are. Even if just roughly. That way, you can always have your character pass through the butcher's district on his way from the harbor to the palace, instead of having it change with each chapter.

Now, that doesn't mean you need to put the map in your book. I love maps, so I don't mind having them. But it's by no means compulsory.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
I think visually so maps and building plans are essential for me.
But I have also learnt not to spend time on making them look great. I uses decent drawing paper, a few pencils [one for outlines and geography, with different colours for woods/forests, water/rivers etc] and a really good eraser. If as I write I suddenly need to move a river or a city, or add an island, then I can do it quickly.
If I get close to publishing, then i spend the time and money making them look good.
I love the sparse style of Barbara Strachey maps in Journey of Frodo and even more so those of Karen Wynn Fonstad in The Atlas of Tolkien's Middle Earth.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
It can be important. Of the big three, the maps of LOTR and ASOIAF were so important to the books that they've become iconic pieces of the fantasy genre. Then again, the third, Harry Potter, doesn't even have a map, even though there's one in the narrative. That's enough to say it depends.

That said, I rather think every author should be scribbling maps. I even sketched a map of a character's two-room home because I wanted to understand how they live and how to describe the physical space around them. And while it's not a major talking point, Harry Potter sometimes gets criticized for having inconsistencies in the size and layout of Hogwarts, and I think it would've been a little better if it had come with a map. It would've become an icon, too.

I drew my own map with colored pens and pencils, scanned it at different stages of completion so I could change things easily, and when it was finished, I sent it to an artist. I love the result. I mention that because colored pens and pencils are simple, easy to use, and effective. This doesn't have to be all that hard.

Last edited:

pmmg

Myth Weaver
My first copies of a map were definitely made with colored pencils and graph paper. I still have it, but I am happy that I was able to transfer it to Inkarnate. Took about a day actually, and then a lot of enhancing afterwards. And then...I kind of did it again to remove the color and make it black and white. But...I feel I have it now in an easily editable form, and reproducible.

I looked at World Anvil for a while. I think I may use their tools to make stuff for the story world, but they insist I pay first, or everything it public. I want to create privately and make public only what I choose. So...I am not up for paying them first and creating later. They need to let me reverse that.

Rexenm

Inkling
Every good story starts with a map. Than a dragon. And a volcano. Yes, you see a certain pattern, occurring here. One of sudden impact, a knife in the back, a plot twist. Maybe you see ssome sea serpents, coiling around the compass. A pirate ship, cannon ball.

What gets me is how addictive some of these high fantasy maps tend to be.

I recall Redwall, and Farseer, had me pour over these ideas of mine with some form of beverage and cat fancy. I began my writing career that had more illustrations in the file than any cursive. What gets me, is the utter east, and far north, ideas of these things, why not South and West? Modern conventions, will the worlds ever catch up….