• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Mediveal and 19th Century fashion

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Okay that's a load of questions Storm, let me try. So livery is nothing more than clothing supplied to a household. In fact, when a man dressed his servants in his livery, they were immune to the laws he was immune to (everything EXCEPT breaking the peace, murder, and treason). SO there was a period when men-at-arms were not allowed to wear livery because it encouraged duelling which was illegal, but unpunishable to those in livery.

In fact, things were not so matchy-matchy as they are now. Husbands and wives did not color-coordinate their outfits, nor did a nobly necessarily dress his servants similarly. Livery were garments given, yes, but sometimes it was merely a patch or armband. Wiki might be better at explaining livery quickly than I am.

Okay so crests... To my knowledge, the only people who wore their crests, were knights in tournaments and perhaps soldiers in a sort of uniform. It may have been displayed on banners, but I have not seen it, say, embroidered on a doublet or something.

Now as for the other fashion questions you had, the easiest way for me to sum it up, would be to ask which things you are most interested in. Here's an overview of late 16th century fashion accessories I have researched. Also, if you want to see any of my papers, send me an email address in PM. I'm happy to share my research, but it's hard to fit all the info here on a thread.

SO accessories were huge for men and women. It was yet another way to display wealth, and the richer you were, the more you wanted it on display. Men and women wore hats with feathers, carried fans, wore decoration on their shoes, carried daggers and eating utensils, and had a handkerchief. I can expound on any of that you want.

Women of middle class carried keys with pride, a basket while at market for her lady, and wore any gift she might have received from her lady (like sleeves of an old hat). She would have modest jewelry, but might pay the penalty for wearing something above her station if she could afford to do so. Upper class women would not have a basket, her handmaid would carry her things proudly. She would have layered clothing, displaying her wealth, and carry a feather fan and maybe a muff (which has an interesting history) or a pelt with a gold bejeweled head http://katerina.purplefiles.net/FlorenceFiles/pics/ACCZEB_martens head fake Walters art museum.jpg There were loads of accessories that were available, and season would have determined what people would wear.

Men wore coats, capes or a fitted doublet over their indoor clothing, many times draped over a shoulder just to display rich embroidery or semi-precious beads. Men did wear hose, but not alone. A gentleman would wear some form of pants over his hosen, and his station determined how voluminous they might have been and how finely they would have been decorated.

So Storm, if you have any other questions, feel free to post, and if you send me a PM I can make sure I see it. I'm hppy to continue to assist if for nothing more than peoples' amusement.

Dipti13

Dreamer
I really don't think that opting a medieval fashion is tough because we know that it was the most simplest era. I think the problem I am finding is from where to get these clothings because you see so many stores are out their who are promising to give you quality stuff but I am still confused.