• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Middle aged mom has always wanted to be a writer

De Kolesar

Sounds like a craigslist ad, doesn't it? My name is Deanna, or De, and I've been trying to write for years. I guess the word trying should have the emphasis in the previous sentence. I think my problem is that I am so scatterbrained that nothing ever gets finished. I jump from idea to idea (some of them are very good) and never complete anything. I've been told that I write fairly well, the problem is that I don't produce. Another of my problems is that I lack confidence in my writing ability.

I found this forum accidentally. I was just poking around looking for new authors to read, and by clicking links ended up here. I saw that you have a space for writing games and challenges and thought it might be fun to try my hand. I will be poking around and maybe getting my five posts in so I can get to the goodies.

Oh, I guess I'll tell you all a little bit more about myself. I am in my late thirties, married with a 12 year old son. I work full time at a job that is more boring than anything I could have imagined. At one point I thought I could make a career out of it, but now I'm starting to wonder if I will be able to last another 25 years there without going completely insane.

I look forward to getting to know everyone better.

De

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
Hello, welcome. I'm like you; I never seem to finish what I start. Too many ideas with too little focus. When I was younger, I'd try to write loads of fantasy stories, come up with fantasy worlds, characters, et cetera, but nothing ever stuck. Lately I've been spending more time fleshing out individual ideas, so hopefully I'm on the right track.

Welcome! I have that problem, too, though not the 'too many ideas' part. I wish! I'm also a mom: two girls, 1 and 1/2 and 4. Can't wait to see what you post!

welcome! I was having that problem when I first started writing a few years ago, but recently I have made myself focus solely on a song of gods and men, which includes a little poetry and regular stories. Don't be afraid to jump right in.

Hi, De. When I got serious about writing a novel two years ago, I followed the "21 Days to a Novel" exercises that Michael Stackpole teaches. Worked great for me, so that's something you could look into.

Dragonie

Scribe
Hello! Yeah, I'm another person that has trouble focusing. It's just so easy to get distracted by the internet, TV, family, etc. Normally I can focus when I'm out of the house-- like at a cafe or something-- but it's still a bit tricky.

Misusscarlet

Minstrel
welcome. I am not a mother. would like to be someday, just gotta wait for the right guy to come by I guess. Since you have a boring job buy a 20 cent notebook and a package of simple black ballpoint pens and start writing out thoughts for your novel. I work graveyard at a gas station. I write all the time there, no annoying customers coming in, no noises, no people wanting to call and party with you. Perfect setting. Good luck and have fun!