• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Monkey Colony

mincus17

All the monkeys live in simple treehouses made of sticks crudely tied together by ropes. In the center of the treetop village is a large building, similarly built. Inside were mountains of bananas, grapes, oranges, coconuts, pineapples, and all other fruits imaginable. The closest treehouse to the food stock was built in a structure formerly unthinkable. There lived the monkey king, a ruler from birth to death. He lived on the top of two stacked houses. On the bottom house was a smaller version of the food mountain. It was in the center of the room so as to not topple and render on of the bridges to a servant's house temporarily useless. Each monkey had a job. A few monkeys, mostly female, took care of babies. All monkeys of a certain age could become guards to keep away dangerous creatures like snakes and jungle cats. They were given large sticks to block the dangers, but some guards used them to play whack-a-python. The younger monkeys were trusted with gathering fruit. When there is an important decision to be made, it's up to the Elders' Council. They choose when to do important things, like put up an extra guard if there is a persistent leopard about or send even underage monkeys to get food. Then, there are the magic monkeys. They know how to brew potions and live in special houses filled with ingredients. They usually stay in their homes instead of socializing, but are considered heroes indeed when a potion comes in handy. Under the rule of most prosperous King Brun, could anything harm these monkeys? What about a lost rhino?

That is my basic idea for the world and story. Please comment your opinions and ideas for how to make it better! :)

Last edited:

Jay_Ehm

Scribe
My first impression was that this idea sounded somewhat like Warrior Cats but with monkeys. It does seem, though, like these monkeys have more of an actual civilization than the cats from that book series. The cats in Warriors have clans with specific roles that seem a bit similar to your monkey kingdom's role roster, with a leader (like your monkey king), Warriors (like the monkey guards), females who take care of the babies, and Medicine Cats (like your potion monkeys). I'm not saying that your monkey kingdom making me think of Warriors is a bad thing, though, I really like that this concept you've begun to come up with is a lot different from the fantasy worlds and stories that I've seen posted on here so far.

I would like to know a bit more about the story. You've given us a good outline of how this society of monkeys is structured, but I want to know more about the main conflict these monkeys will have to face. Your last sentence mentions a lost rhino being a possible threat to the monkey kingdom, I'd like to hear more about this since it seems to be an important issue the monkeys will have to deal with. What adventures are these monkeys going to go on?

KC Trae Becker

Troubadour
This sounds interesting. I'd like to hear more as well.

Would fire be a threat? Also Monkeys have to watch out for birds of prey from above as well.

Don't forget that many monkeys also have an occasional mob/hunt where they hunt down some animal to rip apart and eat raw. This is sometimes a monkey of a different species. It can get ugly.