• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Mother to Daughter explanation

Ayaka Di'rutia

Troubadour
Hello,

I've come across a quandary in my WIP. I have come to a scene where the MC's daughter is getting the impression that her mother is more than she has let on in the past and questions her about it, and I'm wondering if I should even bother writing this particular part of the scene.

Let me explain why: this is the last book in the series, and the MC has gone through several adventures, progressions, growths, etc. throughout the series. Would it be tedious to write the MC explaining her past to her daughter, even if she summarizes it? Or should I leave it to the reader to know all of it, assuming that they have read the rest of the series (and even the previous series this one links to)?

I'm thinking I could write a description not of what the MC has gone through while she explains a bunch of her past, but her daughter's reaction throughout, if that makes sense. Of course, at the same time, they are in possible danger, as they have just been washed ashore an unsettled island due to a previous ship attack, and there might not be time for a lot of explanation.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
I would have her daughter ask, as daughters will tend to do, and have the mother consider telling her, but have her mentally review their situation and decide to put her off by promising to tell her at a more opportune time. Then maybe have an epilogue or something with the daughter calling her on her promise, and have the mother say, "Ok, it's time I told you a story..." The End.

I had a similar situation in my WIP, where the only difference is that the child is the MC. I mostly weasel my way out by a few sharp or soft words, depending on the situation, on the part of the mother. Though in your case, I would suggest something more refined. Like aelowan said, you could put it aside as an epilogue. The only complaint that I would have with this is that it would come off as a rather weak epilogue for a last book. So maybe you could add more elements to that epilogue.

Maybe you could just offer a summarized explanation. Like 'She told her everything. From the... to the...'

Maybe, you could have her start the explanation when suddenly, danger strikes.

And before, what you said, that you could show her reactions. That can also work.

There are many ways you can go about this, and you should choose the one that is most comfortable and at one with your writing.

I hope it helped.