• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

My Magic System

grayorgrey

In my magic system, everyone has an energy called Somnia running through them, it is basically like what mana would be in other magic systems. It runs on one’s drives, fears, hopes, dreams, and everything of the like, and this connects them to their element. They do not necessarily control the element itself, but rather connect with the concentrated energy within, such energies may change as well depending on its state of matter, hence why others can only control water or ice.

In the case of my world, those who can control such are called Somni and have aligned their Somnia with a certain path (the element and what it represents), they are given artifacts called Curios in their sleep, which connect them with the energies of their path, and grants them the ability to control such. To add (this ties in with the worldbuilding and as to why the magic system is more-so-called Somnia), Somni connect with an Animus, which are the extinct beings made of the pure energy of Somnia driven away by humanity in the distant past, and as a last effort to preserve themselves they latched onto humans to one day return through the Curios (which they connected to by slumber), and the Monarch Animus (the first beings who manifested into the world), preserved themselves in dreamcatchers all throughout the world; the Animus did these to one day return, as they have cast a curse called Insomnia, which corrupts man and would eventually turn them into what would be the forms of the Animus, and once all have been turned, the Animus would return to the physical realm.

They cast such through forming magic circles (but in the forms of dreamcatchers), and by connecting with a chakra they align most with as well, which determines the type of magic they do. They can use the elements in any way they please, so long as it connects to their chakra, and it gives way for the elements that would be weak on paper to be much more powerful than imaginable.

These are the elements:1. Inferna (Fire):

- Virtue/Concept: Passion, Love, & Elation

2. Tonitraa (Lightning):

• Virtue/Concept: Precision, Perfection
  1. Aqua (Water):
- Virtue/Concept: Adaptability, Empathy, & Togetherness

4. Glaciea (Ice):

- Virtue/Concept: Resilience & Remembrance

5. Venteia (Wind):

- Virtue/Concept: Freedom

6. Mistrata (Mist):

- Virtue/Concept: Tranquillity

7. Laethia (Rocks):

- Virtue/Concept: Stability & Permanence

8. Auranda (Sand):

- Virtue/Concept: Perseverance & Preservation

9. Ferrumia (Metal):

- Virtue/Concept: Justice & Equilibrium

10. Vulcana (Volcano):

• Virtue/Concept: Power, War, & Voracity
  1. Flordantia (Plants):
  • Virtue/Concept: Prosperity, Knowledge & Abundance
  1. Faunimara (Flesh/Blood/Bones/Organic Matter):
  • Virtue/Concept: Coexistence & Harmony
  1. Antiflora (Fungi):
  • Virtue/Concept: Control
  1. Decessa (Disease/Poison/Venom/Acid):
  • Virtue/Concept: Finality
  1. Lunara (Dark):
  • Virtue/Concept: Reflection/Erudition
16. Abyssaea (Void):

• Virtue/Concept: Acceptance/Nihility
  1. Kosmoa (Space):
  • Virtue/Concept: Wonder/Exploration
  1. Solara (Light):
  • Virtue/Concept: Wisdom/Enlightenment
aaaand the Chakras/Types of Magic:

Root Chakra (Muladhara): Conjuration: The root chakra grounds us to the physical world, just as conjuration magic calls forth entities and objects from other planes into the material realm.

Sacral Chakra (Svadhisthana): Enchantment: This chakra governs creativity, emotions, and desires, much like how enchantment magic influences and manipulates emotions, thoughts, and behavior.

Solar Plexus Chakra (Manipura): Evocation: The solar plexus chakra represents personal power and will. Evocation magic involves harnessing raw magical energy to create powerful effects, reflecting this sense of personal empowerment.

Heart Chakra (Anahata): Abjuration: The heart chakra is associated with love, compassion, and healing. Abjuration magic focuses on protection, shielding, and dispelling, reflecting the protective and nurturing qualities of the heart.

Throat Chakra (Vishuddha): Transmutation: The throat chakra governs communication and expression. Transmutation magic involves altering the form or nature of things, which can be seen as a form of creative expression.

Third Eye Chakra (Ajna): Divination: The third eye chakra is associated with intuition, perception, and insight. Divination magic involves gaining knowledge of the future or hidden truths through supernatural means, aligning with the insights associated with the third eye.

Crown Chakra (Sahasrara): Aneicromancy - The crown chakra represents spirituality, enlightenment, and connection to the divine. Aneicromancy, symbolizing a balance between life (ani) and death (necro), could explore the interconnectedness of all things, including the realms of existence beyond the physical plane. It may signify a pursuit of harmony and understanding between the forces of life and death, guiding practitioners toward enlightenment and spiritual fulfillment.

Earth Star Chakra: Illusion: The earth star chakra connects us to the physical world and grounding energies. Illusion magic involves the manipulation of perception and reality, which can be seen as a reflection of our connection to and interaction with the physical world.

Soul Star Chakra: Chronomancy: The soul star chakra is believed to be the gateway to higher consciousness and spiritual evolution. Chronomancy, focusing on time manipulation and understanding the fabric of reality, aligns with the idea of exploring higher states of consciousness and existence.

thoughts and critique?

Queshire

Istar
Interesting. A lot of familiar aspects, but with neat twists to them. That is a lot of terms to throw at a reader all at once. I imagine they won't all just be listed out like this in the story itself, yes?

Another question, is someone using this system limited to one chakra but can use any element with it so long as they muster up the right emotion for it? Or is it the other way around?

I think it sounds interesting enough, it would just need to be interesting enough to read within the narrative, if that’s what it’s intended for. There’s a clear and simple system there as in this is what the magic can do, but you might want to outline the restrictions and limitations.

I am always dubious on the use of Asian philosophy (in this case Chakra) if not used in an Asian inspired setting.

You also have Latin sounding words in your system too, so again, I would question the mixing of two different cultural origins here.

And finally Somnia, meaning multiple dreams and Insomnia - meaning no sleep, yet no mention of sleeplessness or dreams? There’s mention of a dreamcatcher too, but still no other mention surrounding sleep, or lack thereof.

I don’t think it necessarily a bad idea to use those particular words, but most people know what insomnia means and may have difficulty separating the actual meaning from what you want it to mean.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Well...I get lost when you get down to the nuts and bolts part of it.

I think the system is fine, and would work well as a backdrop to many things, like Games and world building. But...what matters more than all of this is the story you intend to put it in. So...what is the story that this would showcase in?

I did turn on my questioning brain around the Latin words and the eastern energy stuff, but not too strongly. The addition of all of this being connect to sleep, at least in this way, is new to me.

My first question was along the lines of, suppose I end up staying at another's house and don't have my curio with me, what happens?

This is interesting, however the reader will have to have the matterials with them to understand what one person can do and another since these are not inter change able are they. How will the reader understand what is happening to the characters when they interchange with each other. The reader may not remember who they are and what magic they work with. The reader hsa to know what the characters are with their power.