• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

My mist shaping and metal based magic system

Queshire

Istar
I would recommend posting it here for feedback. Unfortunately I need to get ready for work so I can't look at it right now.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Yeah, post it here. I've avoided Reddit most of my life. No reason to start there now.

Main thing I'm wondering about is when does mist count as mist?

After all, mist is simply water droplets hanging in the air. Does it really have to be mist as we think about it? Or is a cloud enough? What about just regular water?

The second thought was maybe that the different powers a user had felt a bit random. They don't realy tie together all that much it feels like. More as if they were simply powers the writer needed to fix something in the story.

MyBro

Acolyte
Main thing I'm wondering about is when does mist count as mist?

After all, mist is simply water droplets hanging in the air. Does it really have to be mist as we think about it? Or is a cloud enough? What about just regular water?

The second thought was maybe that the different powers a user had felt a bit random. They don't realy tie together all that much it feels like. More as if they were simply powers the writer needed to fix something in the story.
First off: The mist that is a part of the magic system is not like natural mist. The magical mist is more like a magical energy that pulsates inside the crystals. This magical energy is just similar to really thick mist, but it is not actually mist. I just call it mist to have some sort of idea of how it looks.

Second: Yes I thought about it and it feels quite random. It was derived from an earlier draft of magic system. Where weapons would have these abilities and people would need to learn special fighting techniques to get these special abilities. And it were basic fighting techniques, like for the technique that makes things light, one needed to learn to be very dexterous. For the one that creates earthquakes, one needed to learn to be strong and overwhelm the oponnet with brute strenght. And for the last one, a person would need to learn how to confuse enemies in battle and then they would get the ability to activate the magnetism.

I thought about changing it. Maybe by removing the abilities completely and focusing on the magical energy (mist) part of the magic system or by sticking to a certain theme when creating new effects. Like density control or altering the size of objects.

Aalinah

Interesting idea!

A couple of questions:
Will the crystals be connected to a specific weapon? Is it only one type of weapon or can it be various types?

It also sounds like the the crystals would store matter/energy and give characters the power of matter and energy manipulate. Maybe it comes out the crystals looking like mist and a specific fighting technique allows a character to emit the mist into the ground that causes an earthquake or form a ray of energy that brings forth light.

MyBro

Acolyte
Interesting idea!

A couple of questions:
Will the crystals be connected to a specific weapon? Is it only one type of weapon or can it be various types?

It also sounds like the the crystals would store matter/energy and give characters the power of matter and energy manipulate. Maybe it comes out the crystals looking like mist and a specific fighting technique allows a character to emit the mist into the ground that causes an earthquake or form a ray of energy that brings forth light.
First off the only requirement for a weapon that can imbued with mist is that it needs to be made from Ersing. Of course only the specific part made from Ersing will harbor these various effects.

For example - A hilt of a sword is made from Ersing and it is imbued with green mist then metal objects will only stick to the hilt not the blade. So it can basically be any kind of weapon or it does not even need to be a weapon. It can be just a crate made from Ersing and the effects would still be possible to activate. The effects only rely on Ersing, not the shape or the type of weapon.

Second off the thing you said about the power of matter and energy manipulate is intersting. At the beginning I was like ' Why would these fighting techniques give people the power to create earthquakes? When the mist is imbued in Ersing and not them. ' So maybe every single Crystaler in the beginning can imbue Ersing with the mist and when they learn these techniques they can learn to imbue other things with the mist like the ground to create earthquakes. Just an idea.