• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Name a song you like, indie folk edition

Link a song then what you like about it.

• VI-V-i cadence (also heard in Marty Beller Mask by They Might Be Giants)
  • Shimmer organ
  • Tambourine on the off-beat and a shaker playing 16th-notes
  • Harmony on key parts of the lyrics
  • Sense-of-wonder evoking lyrics.
Post as many as you like, just include your reasons.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Maybe not the type of folk music you are expecting...
But I find their music engrossing, their words heartfelt and always based in their experiences and environment.
I just wish I knew Navajo so I could understand what the Elder is saying.

Mad Swede

Auror
Not quite an indie group, but certainly not what you think they sound like...
There's a tendency to think of them as a band who "only" play twelve bar boogie, but as this concert and the album Aquostic showed, there's a bit more to their music than that.

Someone else who wasn't exactly an indie artist but whose music isn't so well known any more is this lady:
For those of you who don't know, she was the first woman ever to get the top grade for musicianship when playing the piano at the Royal Academy of Music in London, and she's still the only woman ever to have two No 1 hits, two gold discs and two silver discs for piano music. She's best known for her blues, ragtime and boogie recordings, but her classical recordings are well worth hunting down for the sheer quality of her interpretations.

I tend to listen to her ragtime music when I'm writing more light hearted passages, there's something about her playing which I find both relaxing and inspiring.

I'd been a fan of Peter Murphy since his Bauhaus days, but when I first heard his solo album, 'Dust', it was the first (and still only) time I've found myself thinking, I want to write a story for which this music is the emotional soundtrack.

This is my favorite song from the album, 'Your Face'

From the immediate mood, the instrumentation, the thrum of the underlying heartbeat, the voice and drift of the melody. . . it's perfection to my ears and a sonic world waiting to be given written form. :)

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
I'd been a fan of Peter Murphy since his Bauhaus days, but when I first heard his solo album, 'Dust', it was the first (and still only) time I've found myself thinking, I want to write a story for which this music is the emotional soundtrack.

This is my favorite song from the album, 'Your Face'

From the immediate mood, the instrumentation, the thrum of the underlying heartbeat, the voice and drift of the melody. . . it's perfection to my ears and a sonic world waiting to be given written form. :)
Simply said... That is wonderful.