1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Need help finding a reason for someone of to lose an eye

Discussion in 'Research' started by John Penny, Nov 11, 2020.

Tags:
  1. psychotick

psychotick Auror

Hi,

Why does it have to be anything significant? He got a scratch, the eye became infected, it had to be removed - simple. Of course as a pirate he now has to spend the rest of his life making up ever more bizarre stories about how he lost the damned thing! (And getting rid of anyone who knows the truth!)

Cheers, Greg.

2. joshua mcdermott

joshua mcdermott Troubadour

It's pretty easy to lose an eye. I am like a sorta normal US kid (very rural though..and we had weapons) and two times I have come close: Once my friend and I were doing something very stupid, which was throwing an arrow at each other! and trying to block it with wood chips? anyway.. when one is young and stupid. anyway, arrow in my eye. luckily not a hunting arrow! but yeah, at the doctor, patch all of that and I was lucky and can see now but that eye has never been the same.

second time my brother wanted to show me a fencing move, and so- for whatever reason- I took down my actual sword from the wall (or maybe he did?- I swear it was all his idea anyway) he messed up the move and I stabbed him right along side the nose into his eye. A sound and feeling I will never forget- it haunted me like a low level ptsd for a while. Instantly his eye filled with blood and closed up- very lucky that it slid in the side and was not a cm the the right or he would have a glass eye now.

So yeah, pretty easy and for very stupid reasons!

-j

Dark Lord Thomas Pie likes this.
  3. Tannhauser

Tannhauser New Member

Thought you could use this in conjunction with Don Coyote's idea
    Shortly after I was born my brain expanded and crushed the anterior pituitary gland and olfactory bulb against my skull, taking out the sight in my left eye. (The eye is still in place but useless). With the olfactory bulb gone, I have no sense of smell either.

Best wishes.

Dark Lord Thomas Pie likes this.