• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Ok kill off main characters or not?

Kelise

Maester
I've read a few series recently where the books have had a few focus/main characters (or a character set to be the hero) and they've been killed. In the next book, the other focus/main characters have had more attention. I think it works (in these examples, which I won't name because even saying the title of the book is basically a spoiler for what happens - I'll answer in a private message if anyone is interested though) and it can be very effective.

The reason for his/her death has to be worth it though. There has to be no other option (if it's a sacrifice) or it should cause the rest of the plot to happen (if murder/intentional). It shouldn't be cheap or there just to shock.

The reason for his/her death has to be worth it though. QUOTE]

I agree. Also I think to get the most out of it it should be foreshadowed (a hard thing to pull off without being too obvious). The sudden, seemingly random death of a beloved character is likely to annoy readers. Whereas good foreshadowing, where it implies the character really might die, can increase the drama and suspense of a work.

SlimShady

Troubadour
Good point Shady, the above of course was just my opinion as well.

Yeah. I mean there isn't really a right or wrong answer. I mean you can't please everybody when your a writer. Some people will love something, while others will hate. As a writer I believe the only thing you can do is follow your heart. (Sounded corny but it's true)