• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

To Kill a Hercules

Rexenm

Maester
I think the only way to kill a character, is if they have a sin. Think about it. They could have the whole plethora. But that does not mean they have a complex story to them.

I have not come across this idea before. Most of my stories have a castle, a siren and a wizard. Then they journey, and have a successful demise or not.

most of these stories have a relic or a place

So I'm writing a tragic story where the protagonist has to die trying to kill the main antagonist, the problem lies in the fact that by the end of the story, my protag gets really, really strong and is even shown to be 'unkillable'. What is a way I can actually make her end up dying without conveniently nerfing her for the sake of plot?

Also don't know if this helps, but, the protagonist is strong because she basically becomes a cyborg of sorts and is also the right-hand woman of the antagonist. She wants to kill him because she finds out he is psychologically traumatizing her so that she fully becomes his pawn.
There's so many ways. It sounds like you've assumed that for her to die she needs to be beaten in a fight. You CAN do this, you just need to establish a bigger fish. For example, maybe the big bad has a bodyguard who's even STRONGER and has been built up over the story or some such.
However, there's many more ways to die. Heracles himself was killed by poisonous, acidic blood smeared on his tunic. Maybe there's a cyborg virus, maybe your main character will be betrayed by someone she trusts and revealed her one weakness to. There's more ways to kill a character than a big hammer. Maybe the villain has their loved one held hostage and they have to self-destruct to save them. There's plenty of creative possibilities.

So I'm writing a tragic story where the protagonist has to die trying to kill the main antagonist, the problem lies in the fact that by the end of the story, my protag gets really, really strong and is even shown to be 'unkillable'. What is a way I can actually make her end up dying without conveniently nerfing her for the sake of plot?

Also don't know if this helps, but, the protagonist is strong because she basically becomes a cyborg of sorts and is also the right-hand woman of the antagonist. She wants to kill him because she finds out he is psychologically traumatizing her so that she fully becomes his pawn.
I'll admit, I don't know much about cyborgs other than they're partially artificial. Maybe a poison of some sort that targets her cyborg side, even temporarily, giving the antagonist a 'window' to kill her human side? Or maybe when she becomes half cyborg, her human biology can't accept the new changes to her body at first, making her just weak enough for him to kill her?

MoSSurII

Scribe
What's the name of the story? Where can we read it?
Well it is currently still in the works, I'm just about done with the outline and have barely begun the actual writing and it's most probably gonna take a while since it's merely a passion project. Additionally, I may never even publish it for the same reason.
As for the name, the current working title is '26 Maiden' but that's subject to change.