• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Old friends with significant backstory, or new acquaintance with limited investment?

I'm making another attempt at writing a story I'd earlier set aside as difficult to write. One of the problems that keeps tripping me up is that much of the story revolves around the relationship between four people who've been each other's only company for many years--they'd realistically have a lot of shared memories and in-jokes, and it's hard to rapidly bring the reader up to speed on all that without risking confusion. Right now, I'm looking at two options:

1): Keep all the shared memories and in-jokes. Write from the perspective of the one character who interacts with the world outside their house (more specifically, with the newly-appointed messenger who brings them food and supplies, replacing a previous messenger who died in, shall we say, an unfortunate incident.) Use that newly appointed messenger's confused queries as a vehicle for explanations of some of what's going on. However, I don't think I can open with the messenger, and he won't be able to ask questions about every little thing, so there'll still be some degree of confusion, particularly in the beginning.

2): Write from the perspective of the messenger. Show only those things he directly perceives, and use his conversations with the other characters to portray the story. However, my original intention was for the story to be about all four characters living in the house, and for the messenger to be a minor character--I have no idea what character arc I'd do for him, and using him as the sole perspective would make it very hard to do arcs for more than two other characters. In other words, I'm afraid I'd be throwing out the baby with the bathwater here.

How might I do better at pulling off 1? If I can't really do it, how might I better tackle 2?

(I realize that there's option 3): write the ten previous years. However, unless I zoomed through it like this, the ten years would take up much, much more of the story than the part I actually want to write. Furthermore, the story I want to write is mocking a particular genre, and I'm afraid the ten previous years, if portrayed at length, would turn it into a straight example of that genre.)

Kahle

Minstrel
The confused messenger combined with the MC's own thoughts should give you enough opportunities. Robert Jordan was able to convey the nature and history between three of his MC's (who grew up together) through memories and conversation. Often the characters would be reminded of an incident and a paragraph or two could be devoted to the anecdote before the character snapped back to reality.

Patrick O'brian used a version of the messenger in the Aubrey/Maturin novels. Since the ship's doctor was so ignorant of the sea, ships, and naval custom, a portion of each book was spent educating and reeducating the doctor, and therefore the reader. It was quite effective.

It seems like the MC might interact with the messenger, who comments on an event. The MC shares a story and gives the main detail, but nothing too personal. When the messenger leaves, the reader is given the MC's more personal views of the incident as the MC reflects for a moment.

I think 2 would be too difficult due to the limited interaction and insight . However, that ignorance might be useful if you wanted to lend some mystery to the characters and backstory of the house.

Jamber

Sage
Been a long time since I read The Three Musketeers, but I seem to remember an interesting early dynamic -- the closed group with their witticisms and banter and in-knowledge, and the green newcomer who wants to join them. Is it worth thinking about making your fourth the green one, and get rid of the messenger (or combine characters)?

Might be a completely bum steer, but it's what jumped into mind for me.

cheers
Jennie

Been a long time since I read The Three Musketeers, but I seem to remember an interesting early dynamic -- the closed group with their witticisms and banter and in-knowledge, and the green newcomer who wants to join them. Is it worth thinking about making your fourth the green one, and get rid of the messenger (or combine characters)?

Might be a completely bum steer, but it's what jumped into mind for me.

cheers
Jennie

The viewpoint character's greener than the others, but she joined before they got as neurotic as they currently are. I don't think their particular brand of dysfunction would work if the majority of them were capable of interacting with outsiders in ways other than a): defending against them or b): defending them against others. (Though given the viewpoint character's background, and given that she joined when the group dynamic was already somewhat in place, she might be better equipped to analyze their dysfunctions, noticing the ways in which they hurt themselves and actively trying to help them . . . Now you've gotten me thinking.)

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
The exposition character is always a good one to have around. Someone useful, but as no real idea what the heck is going on and had to have personal stuff explained to him. D'Artanion is a classic exposition character.