• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Once upon a time in as 50's space opera.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Introducing the magnanimous 2250's!
Isn't it swell to live in the greatest galactic country in the universe?

This is a thread for discussing an idea that came to me thanks to some comments on the thread "Avoiding cliched elves and genre crossovers in a Fantasy Project.". The world is a sci-fi with elves, dwarves and other fantasy elements in it, set in a futuristic fifties, the way they imagined it. So expect there to be oversized machinery, lots of robots and impractical spacegear. Also prepare to hear alot about fighting the space commies and living the galactic american way of life.

Considering that I have never lived in the fifties, or the USA. I need some help getting a full grasp on the timeperiod. I think I have a good grasp on the basics of the era. Art Deco/Streamline Moderne architecture, Jazz music, Italian/Jewish Mobsters running the criminal world, saying "gee whiz" alot, wearing sharp suits or pretty dresses, Howard Hughes and the rise of glamorous Hollywood living in the City of Angels (I've been watching too many Noir films set there).

So please, write down what you know and consider iconic about the era.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Fins... On Rockets, on Vehicles, on Buildings. Everything must have fins.
And Chrome. Lots and lots of Chrome. On Cars, on Furniture.
If it can have Chrome AND Fins... IT MUST!

Reactions: Ban

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Fins... On Rockets, on Vehicles, on Buildings. Everything must have fins.
And Chrome. Lots and lots of Chrome. On Cars, on Furniture.
If it can have Chrome AND Fins... IT MUST!

I envision a mad preacher screaming this to people walking by.

"And so space-god decreed, All shall be fin and all shall be chrome! For if we are not fin and chrome then what will happen to the children?! Think of the children!"

Yep, that's going in :)