• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

One man story podcast

I am writing scripts for a podcast to try to get my name out there. The idea is that each episode would be a one man show, consisting of a character talking to themselves/their internal monologue.

The pov character would be the only character in each story (barring the occasional monster or voice only they can hear). All would be set in the same fantasy setting, which I can best describe as "Steampunk Holmsian Academia".

My inspirations for doing this include the One Foot in the Grave episode "The Trial" (which can be found on Youtube), the Star Trek Deep Space Nine Episode "In the Pale Moonlight" (The monologue parts) and the Bojack Horseman episode "Free Churro", as well as audiodramas in general...

And the fact that I won't be able to afford voice actors. (Shrug)

Anyway, any ideas on making this not crap?

Cool concept! Since it's just one character, focus on making their internal monologue engaging and relatable. Use descriptive language to bring the Steampunk Holmsian Academia setting to life. Consider using sound effects and music to enhance the atmosphere. And don't worry about not having voice actors - it can actually make the podcast feel more intimate and personal. Good luck!

Cool concept! Since it's just one character, focus on making their internal monologue engaging and relatable. Use descriptive language to bring the Steampunk Holmsian Academia setting to life. Consider using sound effects and music to enhance the atmosphere. And don't worry about not having voice actors - it can actually make the podcast feel more intimate and personal. Good luck!
Thanks for the advice and words of encouragement, Jennifer 😊

Any suggestions on how to use descriptive language in this context? I don't know if someone would just describe the room they're in.

Also, any recommendations on where to obtain music and sound effects? I think you are right, when I consider audiodramas I have listened to, the sound effects and bgm are a huge part of it. I've done a little research on this, and found a few websites.

Hey! 😊

Descriptive language can be used to paint a vivid picture of the setting, characters, and actions. Instead of just describing the room, you could have your character notice specific details that reveal their personality or the world they're in. For example, they might think about the smell of old books, the sound of clockwork machinery, or the feeling of worn leather under their fingers.

As for music and sound effects, there are some great resources out there! You might want to check out Free Music Archive, AudioBlocks, or Epidemic Sound for royalty-free music. For sound effects, you could try Freesound, SoundBible, or 99Sounds. You can also experiment with creating your own sound effects or Foley work to add a more personal touch.

Remember, the key is to use these elements to enhance the story and atmosphere, rather than overpowering the narrative. You got this! 💪

Hey! 😊

Descriptive language can be used to paint a vivid picture of the setting, characters, and actions. Instead of just describing the room, you could have your character notice specific details that reveal their personality or the world they're in. For example, they might think about the smell of old books, the sound of clockwork machinery, or the feeling of worn leather under their fingers.

As for music and sound effects, there are some great resources out there! You might want to check out Free Music Archive, AudioBlocks, or Epidemic Sound for royalty-free music. For sound effects, you could try Freesound, SoundBible, or 99Sounds. You can also experiment with creating your own sound effects or Foley work to add a more personal touch.

Remember, the key is to use these elements to enhance the story and atmosphere, rather than overpowering the narrative. You got this! 💪
That's really helpful! Thank you!