• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Online & free writing tools

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I was being a little kind before. Truth, is I tend to write in notepad cause it does not put in all the Microsoft formatting tools. When I get near the end I put it in word to correct it. That my usual M.O. I've seen these tools for a while, scrivener and the like, but other than installing it once and looking, I've not really found a need for them. But I am perhaps disorganized, so I am considering it.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Notepad++ forevah!

But not for writing. I need to be able to do italics and diacriticals for all those foreign words I use.

Gribba

Troubadour
I am trying it out now... on google drive... So far so good...
still much navigating needed to get to each file but that can maybe be fixed by opening a few Tabs in different folders in my browser so I can quickly get to the documents... hope this will lessen the distraction when I need to add something or find something. ;)
and making changes, as you mention skip.knox, is probably less of a headache by using google drive.

I added 'The book so far' to gather the entire chapters/writing in one file, once done or ready for what is next.

Here is to hoping it turns out awesome! :woot:

Screenshot_from_drive_01.png
Screenshot_from_drive_02.png

But I have to admit I still like the truenovelist.com, having everything just a click away, quick access and in the line of sight.
:D

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I use Word for writing and sometimes for notes. I use OneNote for complex worldbuilding notes because it's great for tracking creative ideas. Both of those I keep in Dropbox.

I also use EverNote, which you can get free, for clipping things after I've posted them, as well as taking more academic or research type notes, like notes from writing blogs.

I keep an excel page for planning my writing goals across the month.

Honestly it's a mess.

Gribba

Troubadour
Good news, everyone... :D
Finally got a response from the one running the TrueNovelist site...
"I am planning on keeping True Novelist running for now, but am not actively developing it. If I do decide to stop running the site I will open source the code to allow someone else to run it."

I can use it at work! JEIII... :woot: and as a back up I just copy any changes I make to the Drive folders/documents.
I also find it so much easier to use the dark (night) version, easier on the eyes and as I mentioned earlier in the tread, the quick access to everything.

Just wanted to share this if anyone else was interested in using the site. ;)

Panic over!
:ROFLMAO: