• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Pidgeons, Squirrels, and Rats are Mythological Figures in Hiding.

Has this been done before? Not sure this fits the tone of my current WIPs, but it sounds like a fun idea.

The Secret world of jinn/fairy/anything else are hidden in plain sight as Pigeons, squirrels and rats that populate the modern cityscape.

Domestic animals - it's a sweet life for a jinn

Antiques - Why else would people pay so much for a stupid old chair?

"Perception Reflex" allows them to transform instantly when seen by people.

- What are they when not hidden away as animals?
- Are they material in their true form?
- Can their true form be seen?
- Other world Building Questions?

mbartelsm

Troubadour
The idea of possessed antiques has been done before many times, but I've never heard of anyone who has made a pigeon a powerful jinn or anything of the sorts, this would be the first time.

- Are they material in their true form? Don't think so, they are material when hidden, they are material when not

Guru Coyote

Archmage
I think there's been stories with pigeons and rats etc. as some form of nature spirit... Regardless I think the idea you outline is very intriguing.
Rats and pigeons do play the role of "eyes of the gods" etc. in several stories.
Often these domestic creatures have an agenda of their very own, and the 'humans' treat them with respect - the "Ratspeakers" of Neil Gaiman's "Neverwhere" come to mind.

One more question I'd ask: Are ALL rats (pigeons, squirrels etc.) actually faeries in binding.. or are they hiding in amongst the "normal" critters?

One more question I'd ask: Are ALL rats (pigeons, squirrels etc.) actually faeries in binding.. or are they hiding in amongst the "normal" critters?

That is a good question.

I suppose if all pigeons are fairies, then you can't really be "hiding" among them. Now, this idea is fresh in my mind, so everything is muddy right now.

I've been looking for new creatures to populate my UF worlds. Not a hodge-podge of random stuff, but a consistent world where specific things are real. (though there would be enough wiggle room to fulfill old myths with new creatures.)

I'm sure it's been done before, but it doesn't strike me as something overused or cliché, so if you can write it well, it should be pretty cool.

This is very, for a lack of a better term, Neil Gaiman...y. You should read 'Neverwhere' - which, although different to your idea, follows on the same logical basis.

And I for one love this sort of thing, though the stories always seem to end up being quite similar which makes me think that's this neo-mythical is slowly becoming a genre. But handled well and it's awesome.