• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Placenames, translated

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
maps_offer_a_different_perspective_on_understanding_the_world_we_live_in_640_39.jpg

I saw this on Facebook. The names on this map are a literal translation of the Chinese names for these countries.

I figure it's something to think about when you're trying to decide on a naming style for your locations. Even foreign countries can sometimes have names in your language.

I wonder how accurate this is...I take most social media postings with a grain of salt.

It is a good point though, since we frequently forget the fact that not all countries call themselves anything close to what we do. Something good to remember when considering your world-building and especially when there is a lingua franca at play.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
On a more practical note, Wikipedia is pretty good about providing old and alternative placenames. I've made extensive use of this in my Altearth.

Ayaka Di'rutia

Troubadour
I don't do a lot of alternate names based on race or region in my fantasy writing; I'm afraid it would get too complicated for my liking. Fortunately, I don't have to use alternate names often unless I'm exploring a certain culture, and even then it doesn't come up much. Most people call the world as it's generally known to the reader, as well as the different countries and places; it keeps names simple, even if it isn't as realistic as it would be for our world.