• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Pricning spreadsheet

I was wondering if anyone else has created a spreadsheet of their stories and prices. I created this one to figure out the words-per-cent value to the reader as well as how many words that I wrote to get 1 cent.

All titles are sorted in descending order by reader value.

Titles in blue are not mine. They're a few traditionally published books by others that I chose to include here to see how my stories compare, value-wise (titles in dark blue are the same thing, but I had forgotten which color that I'd selected before). The word counts for the blue titles are my estimations, based on a word count of a full, non-dialogue page of text multiplied by the total number of story pages (regardless of the amount of text on some of the pages), so these word counts are overestimated (which is a good thing, IMO; it provides a challenge).

Abbreviations are for trade paperback and mass market paperback. Physical book prices are MSRP, not what the books currently sell for.

Most of my stories are short stories. I've included a few "eventual" collections, using the total word count of every story published in the series so far (these will increase over time and become better values).

I've included one work-in progress: my only novel, "Our Lady of the Sea and the Moon". I'm shooting for 100,000 words. At the end of a writing session (or sometimes during), I update the word count. It's already the best value (among my stories), so I use this tool to calculate a higher price that's still the best value.

pricing.jpg