• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Productivity

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
I usually have three projects going at a time--one in development, one in drafting status, and one in revision.

I would love it if I could make my projects line up like that. What I find, however, is that revision takes so much longer than drafting that I eventually end up with all my projects in the editing phase :(

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
My oldest son's school closed, so now he's home and my "free time to sit and be at the computer" has completely vanished. There's no naptime to get away anymore.

The surprising thing is, I've written more since that happened. I took the advice of somebody on a lifehacker post and started writing five minutes at a time, at a laptop, at a standing desk where I can watch them and hear them and get involved with whatever they're up to. Somehow a steady word count doesn't seem so demanding anymore.

Similar to working on multiple things at once, I find that having the kids distract me is a lot better than having other things distract me. It might also be unfair because I have the entire day to entertain my distractions and get back to writing, instead of a fixed two hour naptime window with competing demands that might-or-might-not come after the most stressful time of my day.

There are some things you just can't do on a laptop watching kids, however, so it hasn't helped in every area. But it's picked up my word count a lot.

Last edited: