• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

prophecies

Anders Ämting said:
Can I have those first two, if you're not going to use them?

I find that most things people think are clichés actually aren't clichés, but more often underdeveloped ideas.

Meh, any idiot with half a brain can come up with a hundred ideas a day. Takes talent, determination and knowledge to turn an idea into a story.

Sent from my Blade using Forum Runner

Meh, any idiot with half a brain can come up with a hundred ideas a day. Takes talent, determination and knowledge to turn an idea into a story.

Also easy to throw negativity around on forums all day. Takes honor, tact, and respect to post anything in the way of encouragement or support.

Graham Irwin said:
Also easy to throw negativity around on forums all day. Takes honor, tact, and respect to post anything in the way of encouragement or support.

You trying to say something Graham? Cause I will rip your spleen from your gut and draw my picture on... Wait, this isn't the thread about excessive gore is it.

It's true that ideas are easy, stories are harder. I have had half a dozen ideas already, but most aren't useful for what I am writing, as a published author, you must be familiar with this as well. I do try try to encourage and help, haven't beat some of the mods on post count without offering help and encouragement.

Anyhow I just had an idea that will work in one of my stories, going to take note of it and explore the idea. Catch you on the flip side.

Sounds like your ability to generate ideas is your strongest point as a writer, then. That's fine - I used to be in that stage of my writing as well.

These days I don't get ideas quite that often. But in return, the ones I do get are usually good ones.

You, I like. Let us be not-enemies!

Anders Ämting said:
Sounds like your ability to generate ideas is your strongest point as a writer, then.

Thanks for the compliment :) I have been seeing someone that already has two books going to agents and publishers, hoping she gets someone to take her up. She's got a head full of ideas, much more and better ones than mine. She's a kind of inspiration for me.

CicadaGrrl

Troubadour
Oh, I'm books behind my ideas. The ones I think are tenable. Of course they have folders and I jot notes into them every now and then, but I'm in the second book of a trilogy at the moment.

Actually, my book coming out on Feb 15, Shining in Darkness[/I], the culture has a huge focus on a prophecy that not only comes, but comes again and again in a war that can't be won. There are those who can see into the future, who add to the masses of prophecy lore, and it does keep happening so there has to be something to it. But a lot of what exactly the High Priestesses and Priest put out there for average priestesses and priests to teach to teachers to teach kids--that information may be selected for politics more than anything else. So the question is, what is spiritually true, and what is mortal? I actually hate prophecies.

AryaPotter13

Hello!
I am currently writing a fantasy novel with my best friend Oona Clark, and there are going to be three prophecies in it, the endings all the same, mostly because the main character is going to be offered a choice between three destinies, and while they all end similarly, they are vastly different.
KEDme, from Fanfiction.net gave me permission to use parts of the prophecy he/she (I'm not sure which) wrote for The Serpents Shadow, since I am absolutely rubbish at poetry and the like.
Here is the prophecy I am using for the book:
Through the mist, the darkness grows,
The Shadow of the Serpent goes,
Stronger, steadier, formless in stealth,
Anger, desire, self-loathing, wealth,
The brave, the noble, the pure of heart,
The wise, the gentle, the loyal art,
Forsaken to it’s almighty power,
All is lost upon the midnight hour,
But hope springs forth if she holds true,
Victory comes to the chosen few,
Into the darkness the child, the foe,
The heroes return that destiny knows,
The battle rages, the pieces set,
Out of the depth of hell they met,
The plume of the serpent,
The jewel of the eye,
The feather of tears,
The gift of the sky,
The ghost of the past will be your guide,
But only when wand and sword collide.
I was wondering if any of you could help me with writing the other two prophecies, or at least give me some advice.
All the best,
Arya