• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Querying

Rewrites are done, and I've gotten this thing as correct as I reckon it'll get. It grew by four thousand words, then shrunk by thirteen thousand post-editing. Ran it through the usual family and friends but also my writing group and mentor, whom I am very grateful for. Now to query letters, a synopsis, and the like. Been making a shortlist of agents and happily most of them are currently taking submissions. How has the querying process been for you others, and if you chose to forgo an agent, what led you to that decision? Happy to put it out there at last, though I've no doubt an eh wave of rejections is coming.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
In the past, the querying and submission process was slow and full of waiting and wondering if they had even looked at it yet. Then followed, sometimes, with a letter saying....thanks, but no thanks ;) Today, I dont know. Its been too long.

I would take those other items, query, synopsis and such and put them through the same process. Friends, family, writing group...

Mad Swede

Auror
We don't have literary agents here in Sweden so I've never used one. However, I'm told the London based agent Piers Blofeld has a very good series of short YouTube videos on how to send queries to agents.

All you really need to do (in my opinion) is interest them in reading your sample. After that it's entirely down to whether they think your book is saleable... is it worth the effort?

Doesn't matter how good your query is if the sample's not saleable.

Having said all that, I've had two agents over the years and they were both hopeless - not least in that I did eventually manage to get my novels placed with publishers by myself. The problem is that agents naturally spend most of their time and effort on existing, money making clients. They don't have much time for new clients so unless you hit the jackpot with the first publisher they show your work to your work will quickly fade back into the slush pile.

Mind you, I'm in Australia. It may be different elsewhere.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
All you really need to do (in my opinion) is interest them in reading your sample. After that it's entirely down to whether they think your book is saleable... is it worth the effort?

Doesn't matter how good your query is if the sample's not saleable.

Having said all that, I've had two agents over the years and they were both hopeless - not least in that I did eventually manage to get my novels placed with publishers by myself. The problem is that agents naturally spend most of their time and effort on existing, money making clients. They don't have much time for new clients so unless you hit the jackpot with the first publisher they show your work to your work will quickly fade back into the slush pile.

Mind you, I'm in Australia. It may be different elsewhere.
I doubt its different elsewhere.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Been out of the trad side of publishing for a very long time, but at least I'm in America, Home of the Literary Agent. If you can land an agent, you want to. They are your first advocate in traditional publishing and know everything you need to know but don't want to dig through (but will, eventually) about everything from pay scales to negotiating contracts.

I'm sure that at this stage you've got a handle on your query and your synopsis, and you've dug into proper formatting and to always make sure the agent or editor you're submitting to actually still works at the agency in question. Publishing is one of those industries where everyone knows everyone else and will company hop fairly frequently.

So, one last bit of advice. There have in the past few decades (publishing time isn't like anyone else's) an entire industry has arisen with the sole purpose of defrauding you while you're still shiny and new. Run them through this blog first, WRITER BEWARE® - SFWA and then do some straight-up internet searches. But one of the best ways to avoid being scammed is to remember that in traditional publishing, money flows to you, not the other way around. Agent commotions don't count and are regulated. They earn that 15%.

I'm an indie, but I was raised by a trad writer who brought me up knowing the business. We here on Scribes are more than happy to answer any questions you may have. Good luck and godspeed!