• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

[Reading Group] March 2014: His Majesty's Dragon Discussion

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Yeah, I agree on that point. I'm pretty sure Gone with the Wind was like that as well, but never got around to reading that one. I guess when I read fantasy though, I do expect a certain amount of physical conflict if it's about a war. I'm sure that happens in this book, I just never got to it.

Swordspoint may not be up some people's alley, I'll admit, though I find it to be pretty interesting so far. One thing I do like about this reading group is that we have such varied opinions. It's heartening for me as a writer because it hammers home the fact that even if people like my writing, there will always be people who don't like it for another reason. That's just the way things go.

However, it would be nice to agree on one book, wouldn't it? :)

Ophiucha

Auror
My final thoughts on re-reading the first book after many years since I last did.

His Majesty's Dragon is just such a comfortable read for me. It's a fish out of water story with some of my favourite dragons in modern fantasy literature, with a cute friendship to follow and a setting I've always had a soft spot for. I find the combat, when it shows up, to be interesting and something a little new for the genre, and I like the characters who are around enough to get histories and personalities. Particularly Jane Roland.

I've never been a fan of action anyway, and as a history nerd, I adore her dedication to the history of the war in these early books. It deviates later in the series, but I do like these early books better. Her writing isn't stunning save for a few great lines and a way with describing the movements of the dragons, but it honestly isn't bad either. Her Austenisms are a little awkward at times, but she's consistent at least. Better than some books I've read recently.

And for those curious, but not curious enough to read the later books, a note on why the dragons serve humans:

Dragons are not so powerful that humans cannot fight them. Europe basically controls the race, which is why their numbers are lesser in Europe than in other parts of the world. Temeraire comments that this borders on slavery, which Laurence hadn't considered but does acknowledge is kind of true. In the Aztec part of the world, the dragons basically control humans although the relationship is mutually beneficial (this is how the Aztecs avoided being colonized in this world). In China, humans and dragons are equal and pretty much have the same rights.