• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Rise of the Machines - Marketing Resources For Authors

Bansidhe

Minstrel
The discussion of how and when to market a book (or yourself as an author) seems to be coming up in Ye Olde Forums lately, and the book gods know there is a LOT of noise out there on the subject. Who is a poor, overwhelmed author to listen to? :confused:

My first piece of advice as a published author who doesn't outright solicit reviews or book purchases in an attempt not to go all Green-Egg-And-Spam on potential readers, is to research what the professionals are doing. I once attended an enlightening panel hosted by Hugh Howey, who is as a warm and generous-spirited author as a fledgling author can hope for, and regardless of what you think of his writing (if anything), he does marketing extremely well.

In addition, here are two books I've found EXTREMELY helpful on this whacky road:

Rise of the Machines by Kristen Lamb, who also run a friendly and helpful blog on the subject, as well as hosting an online convention for writers of all stripes. She makes it her business to help writers out, and does it with warmth and humor.

Create Your Writer Platform by Writer's Digest's Chuck Sambuchino. Some of it is geared toward nonfiction, but quite a lot of it can be translated to fiction where it isn't directly address. Also, there are interview answers from authors, editors, and agents, as well as a whole section of case studies to review.

I really, really hope this helps out those of you looking for a little direction, marketing-wise. :)