• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Salutations and hello!

Aldermeer

Heya folks,

Not entirely sure why, but the Mythic Scribes Twitter account followed me, and I needed somewhere to write stuff that isn't my fiction, so I made the decision to join up.

I'll start with the immediately pertinent stuff (so I don't bore you for long) and get less and less relevant (in my opinion, anyway) as I go. I hope it's not too vacuous and rambly but, as a newer writer, I think it's almost inevitable.

As of the beginning of this year, I called myself a game designer and developer without having actually finished a game. So that was a bit of a bust. Now I'm just kind of flailing around, but I've started to really get back into learning about writing professionally in the past 3 or 4 months. Last month I decided (after hearing it numerous times on Writing Excuses and Brandon Sanderson's creative writing lectures) that I NEEDED to actually write. That was all of 250 words (in the first draft) ago. -_-

A few years ago I was looking for an overarching story idea that let me dig in without treading on toes. I honestly don't know for sure how it happened, but the concept became that magic was building at the center of the planet, and burst it, splitting the planet in half. That lead me to wondering why the magic is building up there, and it turned into the only remaining source of magic in or on the planet UNTIL the cracks start to form in the mantle and the crust.

I did write a bit as a youngling, 15 years ago now. I remember having a lot of fun working up stories that were on the edge of fanfiction, retaining race and setting details while building new characters and plots that trailed threads to the source works. The one that comes to mind, is based around Chrono Trigger. A Lavos spawn comes around and is a lot more difficult to dispatch than the ones in the game.

The name my mother (and, I assume, my father) gave me is John. This is all well and good, but I've always been a big fan of literally making a name for myself. This has taken me on a fairly long journey, starting in the magickal realm of Skwerl, then breaking away and settling in the nearby village Skwerly. A short stay there found me the portal to a more scientific realm called Sciu. It was cozy there, but it later occurred to me that Sciu was too small to really enjoy, so I made the arduous journey to Riddicard. The caves under the sublord's keep at Riddicard became the setting of a major regional battle and the keep's supports were destroyed, dropping the keep into the caverns. Rather than sticking around where I had few friends, I found myself moving on once more and assisting in the rebuild of the ancient, abandoned kingdom of Aldermeer.

LOCOFOOL

Minstrel
Well welcome! Seems like you have a lot going on and I hope you find everything here useful.
I'm new myself, I've enjoyed writing for awhile so here I am!