• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Science in Sci-fi, Fact in Fantasy

Hi,

Fascinating. But for those of us who write space opera and want our ships to travel between the stars in a reasonable amount of time there is no getting it right. Not if you accept relativity. All the ways around the light speed barrier are really just fudge factors. At some point we just have to accept it and move on.

Cheers, Greg.

arbiter117

Minstrel
Also there's a billion things we don't know about light speed and we're still debating on it being a barrier and if light has a constant speed or not

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Many stories fudge stuff to make the story work. If Michael Crichton didn't fudge the fact that DNA degrades over time, we wouldn't have gotten Jurassic Park.

That's one of the choices we have to make as writers. Do I fudge this or that? If I don't there's no story.

There's nothing wrong with fudging a thing or two, but the trick is knowing when to do it and when not to.

Hi Pen,

Michael C didn't fudge stuff at all. He completely ignored the fact that fossils contain no organic material. But it was still a good story - which is sort of my point. Sometimes good science fiction has to be based on well known science falsehoods.

Cheer, Greg.

You never know how much you need something until it's staring you right in the face. Thanks for this resource, Ireth! I'm gonna have a lot of fun with this!