• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Self-publishing article

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
This is a few years old, so I'm sure not all of it is accurate, but I thought it had a lot of valuable insights for those considering what the next step may be.

Self-publishing a book: 25 things you need to know - CNET

It's at least nice to have a pretty complete list of all the major issues one should consider before committing too fully to either self-publishing or traditional publishing.

I guess I was curious about this today, after finishing Chuck Wendig's book: The Kick-Ass Writer: 1001 Ways to Write Great Fiction, Get Published, and Earn Your Audience: Chuck Wendig: 0035313658761: Amazon.com: Books

So anyways, hope this is interesting to some of you who are considering self-publishing.

PaulineMRoss

Inkling
This is a few years old, so I'm sure not all of it is accurate, but I thought it had a lot of valuable insights for those considering what the next step may be.

Self-publishing a book: 25 things you need to know - CNET

It's at least nice to have a pretty complete list of all the major issues one should consider before committing too fully to either self-publishing or traditional publishing.

It's interesting, but, as you say, it's out of date. I would also urge caution when anyone talks about 'your self-publishing company'. That's a different style of self-publishing, and you can spend a whole heap of money if you're not careful. It's great for anyone who may only have one special book to publish - Uncle Thingy's war memoir, for instance, or the local church's history - but for anyone wanting to make a career out of writing, I'd always advise DIY self-publishing (or the trad route, of course, or some combination of both).

The book I always recommend is David Gaughran's 'Let's Get Digital'. He's a bit evangelical about self-pubbling, but there's some good information in there.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
oh yes, I also thoroughly enjoyed that one, and have recommended it in the past, too. I just thought this one was at least a concise list of things to consider, where reading Gaughran's book takes a commitment of about 4-6 hours...which for some folks just thinking about things, may not be a good fit? i dunno. I loved it!

And the bonus was that I sent him an email, thanking him for the really thorough book, and he responded with some friendly writerly advice. Top notch guy!