• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

setting limits to magical ability

krunchee

Scribe
Wow guys this is a lot of food for thought. Thank you all for your input.

Call me strange but the type of fantasy I like involves a really detailed magic system that gets used heavily. You could have the worst story in the world as long as it looks great in my mind, fireballs and tornados etc.

Thanks again.

More because the former made me feel like a genius and the latter at times makes me feel like Sisyphus. :D

Yikes! That bad? I'm not the biggest proponent of diff eq and numerical analysis, but high school algebra was always boring. I'm more of a number theory, abstract algebra and real/complex analysis fan.

Mindfire

Istar
Yikes! That bad? I'm not the biggest proponent of diff eq and numerical analysis, but high school algebra was always boring. I'm more of a number theory, abstract algebra and real/complex analysis fan.

It's probably not as bad as I make it seem. Griping just helps me deal with the stress.

Zireael

Troubadour
Blood magic or stamina-draining or constitution-draining magic is the way to go if you don't want to offer convoluted explanations. Just say that magic puts a toll on the caster's body.

Addison

Auror
If you're having trouble with a magic system I recommend picking up "Writing the Paranormal Novel". It has an entire chapter devoted to creating a realistic, sound, consistent magic system.
Cliff notes is this:
Keep the magic consistent. I.E, if your hero uses a spell of white fire to wipe out a horde of demons in one scene, but in a later scene doesn't, make sure the readers understand why. It's not a full moon, wrong day, not enough magic crystals. Whatever.
Give your magic limits. What does your hero lose when he/she uses magic? Does he/she lose life, blood, do they pay by money or favor? Are they exhausted, do they start to change into something else? Does the power corrupt them? Or does the magic only work if they're touching the target? Really think about it. If your character can do magic with out any cost then the readers will see a fight scene and think "oh so he abracadabras and everything's fine".
Magic has a source. Nothing comes from nowhere. Even magic. Make one for your hero.

I hope this has helped.

Rullenzar

Troubadour
One of my stories features strange pillars that stretch to the clouds. These pillars are shrouded in mystery and keep a steady flow of energy circulating through the world. It's like a water cleaning system applied to air. It takes all sorts of contaminated parts from the world and releases it back as pure clean energy. Some races in my world can tap into the source of power and use it to bend to their will. Others find out fast that their biological makeup ensures a swift death if they were to try. Either way the limits are solely based on the race and the one thing they all have in common is there is a limit of energy one body can sustain. Those who push these limits can end up dead or severely handicapped.

If you're having trouble with a magic system I recommend picking up "Writing the Paranormal Novel". It has an entire chapter devoted to creating a realistic, sound, consistent magic system.
Cliff notes is this:
Keep the magic consistent. I.E, if your hero uses a spell of white fire to wipe out a horde of demons in one scene, but in a later scene doesn't, make sure the readers understand why. It's not a full moon, wrong day, not enough magic crystals. Whatever.
Give your magic limits. What does your hero lose when he/she uses magic? Does he/she lose life, blood, do they pay by money or favor? Are they exhausted, do they start to change into something else? Does the power corrupt them? Or does the magic only work if they're touching the target? Really think about it. If your character can do magic with out any cost then the readers will see a fight scene and think "oh so he abracadabras and everything's fine".
Magic has a source. Nothing comes from nowhere. Even magic. Make one for your hero.

I hope this has helped.

I don't necessarily think it is bad if magick is limitless so long as it isn't limitless for just one person. After all, when you have two limitless magick-users go up against each other, it can be pretty cataclysmic.

I usually have limits of some sort, but my limits (apparently) are much higher than most other authors of fantasy. In a short story I am writing presently the main character is a god and she uses her powers fully throughout the story. It's quite the light show.

SeverinR

Vala
Wow guys this is a lot of food for thought. Thank you all for your input.

Call me strange but the type of fantasy I like involves a really detailed magic system that gets used heavily. You could have the worst story in the world as long as it looks great in my mind, fireballs and tornados etc.

Thanks again.
Thats why we help, get alot of ideas from different angles of thought and possibilites.
(Also why I pretty much gave up other writing forums.)

Rullenzar

Troubadour
I have to agree with you Zero. I've tried out a few writing forums and none were as informative or helpful as this one. The people make the forum :)

I have learned a lot since I joined this forum that I believe has made me a better writer and I look forward to getting critiqued in the showcase threads once I get my first chapter down for my current story.

Last edited:

Phietadix

Auror
In my world the 'gods' give magic power. Since they don't want the world blown up they prevent anyone from causeing nuclear explosions and the like.