• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Shameless Self-Appreciation Thread

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
The SFWA panel on fighting and writing was a lot of fun, and I got to give a shout-out to Malik and Dragon's Trail at the end, LOL.

I must say, live panels are a good opportunity to say something stupid with incomplete thoughts, hopefully, I didn't make an ass out of myself, heh heh.

Last edited:
100 books over how long?
I published my first book December 2020, so a year-and-a-half, give or take. I should note, I've also sold 22 in other stores, and given a bunch of them away in the hopes of gaining either reviews or newsletter subscribers. So the total nr of readers is a bit higher. But in general finding people to sell my books to is hard work.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
I published my first book December 2020, so a year-and-a-half, give or take. I should note, I've also sold 22 in other stores, and given a bunch of them away in the hopes of gaining either reviews or newsletter subscribers. So the total nr of readers is a bit higher. But in general finding people to sell my books to is hard work.
Still, not too shabby. We find that when we exhibit at comicons that we put a lot more copies in hands than during any other reader interaction. It's easily the highest profit margin per paperback that we engage in. Also, it helps to get involved with internet communities in your sub-genre. For example, we write urban fantasy, so we're active here on Scribes and in three or four different groups on Facebook. We haven't found much difference when we interact on Twitter and Goodreads, so we don't do much there, anymore, but by being a consistent voice helping and interacting in a positive, supportive way here and on FB that we're starting to get signal boosted and talked about by new people. We also make a lot of friends this way, which is always a plus. But, the key is authenticity. There are a lot of writers who think marketing their work involves being spammy. That doesn't do anything other than annoy people and annoyed people won't read your books. But, writers who interact with and promote their groups authentically find support and new fans.

Still, not too shabby.
Thanks for the kind words :) I am proud of the numbers.

Being in the Netherlands, comicons aren't much of an option... Other than that I agree that marketing has a lot of different aspects to it and much of it comes down to interacting in a genuine way with readers. I'll been taking it slow marketing wise until my next novel comes out (aim is september). I currently have 3 stand-alones published, which makes marketing harder since read-through is lower. The next novel will be the sequel to one of the other ones, so I'll increase my efforts then.

I still have to go look for some fun epic fantasy facebook groups to interact with. And posting here for me is about interacting with other writers, just because it's fun :)

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver

One of your more recent sales was to me, part of a campaign I've been engaged in for the last year or two to read a book or three of the published authors on this site. You were the fifth or sixth.

Thus far...I grow tempted to offer my services to prospective authors here, to aid in the resolution of plot and worldbuilding issues.

One of your more recent sales was to me,
Thanks! Much appreciated.

Thus far...I grow tempted to offer my services to prospective authors here, to aid in the resolution of plot and worldbuilding issues.
I might actually take you up on that. Current plan is to start a new series in a new world after my next novel. And I'm thinking that to kick off that series I'd like to get a developmental editor or similar to go over the book and smooth out all the wrinkles in plot and pacing etc. At my current speed that's still a year away of course.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
The first SPFBO 8 review for Eve of Snows is in and all things considered, it's looking good to make the semifinals. The audiobook kind of screwed me up a bit... long story short, I folded book 1.5, a novella, into the original Eve of Snows, but the audiobooks are still separate, which is confusing if trying to read and listen at the same time. But all and all! A strong review that might just put Eve into the semis.

#SPFBO Review - Eve of Snows — The Nerdy Narrative

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
This is pure luck to even have noticed, as I was building an ad on Amazon, but it's something I've never seen before. Book 2 of Sundering the Gods, Trail of Pyres, is sold out in Hardcover! LMAO. At least it's fun to be able to say I had a book sell out.

First time for everything I guess. Heck, only Eve of Snows in stock right now too. I knew they sales had picked up in hardcover, but apparently, more than I knew.

Last edited:

BearBear

Archmage
I'm just saying when you're dealing with a higher physical dimension being, there's nowhere to hide, there's no way to win, you are alive by their grace, and nothing more to discuss. Add to it that the Eldrich horrors I befriended were in fact women amd now you have assured destruction at your earliest blunder.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
I had my first brush with "fame" today... I've had people I know meet people reading my books as far away as the Seattle airport and other odd encounters in person, but today I ran into someone in passing and mentioned I was a writer. They were like, "Oh yeah, I work at X University Library, maybe I could get your books in, just kidding." and I was like, well, one is an award-winning fantasy. She said, "Really, what did you write, maybe I read it?" I held up my MacBook which is skinned with the cover of Eve of Snows and her eyes widened and her face fell a bit, "Yeah, we have your books in our collection." The look was precious. Then my daughter interrupted and we had to leave before I found out if she she's read them, but from the look, the odds seem good.

As good as that felt, I can only imagine what real fame feels like and how addictive it would get. No wonder so many actors get messed up, heh heh.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I had my first brush with "fame" today... I've had people I know meet people reading my books as far away as the Seattle airport and other odd encounters in person, but today I ran into someone in passing and mentioned I was a writer. They were like, "Oh yeah, I work at X University Library, maybe I could get your books in, just kidding." and I was like, well, one is an award-winning fantasy. She said, "Really, what did you write, maybe I read it?" I held up my MacBook which is skinned with the cover of Eve of Snows and her eyes widened and her face fell a bit, "Yeah, we have your books in our collection." The look was precious. Then my daughter interrupted and we had to leave before I found out if she she's read them, but from the look, the odds seem good.

As good as that felt, I can only imagine what real fame feels like and how addictive it would get. No wonder so many actors get messed up, heh heh.
Wow. That must be trippy.

I am writing my author bio now, and even that feels pretentious and corny.