• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Spelunking(or cave exploration) on Kepler Bb?

caters

Sage
Here on earth, spelunking is extremely dangerous because:

1) There might be predators in the cave that want to eat you

2) It is very hard to find your way back if you don't map the cave and your path

3) Even if you mapped your path, climbing up would be tricky, especially if it is going to cause part of the cave to collapse

and

4) People wanting to rescue you might not know which cave you are in and get lost themselves

However the humanoids on Kepler Bb have an underground civilization and form a mental map of all the tunnels and where they lead to.

So if a humanoid comes across a cave and explores it would it not be as dangerous because of the humanoid forming a mental map of the cave or would that make it even more dangerous since part of the cave could collapse at any moment?

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
I've done a bit of caving...
1) There might be predators in the cave that want to eat you
On Earth and outside of the movies, I can't think of many things you'd find in a cave that would want to eat you. If there are they will almost certainly run away when you team arrives and starts to set up camp, or at least start to make themselves known so you can find elsewhere. After 50ft you are lucky to find anything bigger or nastier than spiders or bats. I don't like spiders and bats are great but neither will eat you.

2) It is very hard to find your way back if you don't map the cave and your path
You ALWAYS make a map and know your path. You will make sketches, leave markers, even tie bits of strings to rocks... I've been in caves with wax "chalk" marks on the wall with arrows, a date and a team's name.

3) Even if you mapped your path, climbing up would be tricky, especially if it is going to cause part of the cave to collapse
It is very unusual that you would come out from different place to going in, and usually you would only do that if you were very certain where that would be before hand [if for no other reason than gear is heavy and you don't want to carry it any further and you would have to].
Also if a cave system is that unstable, you WONT enter it. Cavers that want to stay alive are adventurous but cautious. Actually Caves are usually pretty stable things as most are water eroded and water takes time to carve away rock.

4) People wanting to rescue you might not know which cave you are in and get lost themselves
You usually leave someone at the surface with a phone/radio. You will tell someone not going on the trip, let alone down the cave what you are planing to do and how long you expect to take [so they can raise the alarm safely].
You make VERY sure that anyone coming in after you knows where you were planning on going and how long you think it will take. If they don't know or have to go exploring for you, they will be ultra cautious themselves as they don't want to be the reason another team has to come in to find them and you...
The biggest danger underground [I've found] is flooding. Rain that happened miles away and days ago can lead to the flooding of the cave you are in. The water can rise very quickly and passages can be blocked with little warning. That is very scary. I've caved with people that put scrapes in the rock at water level every time they stop, just to see if the water level is changing, even a little.

However the humanoids on Kepler Bb have an underground civilization and form a mental map of all the tunnels and where they lead to.
So if a humanoid comes across a cave and explores it would it not be as dangerous because of the humanoid forming a mental map of the cave or would that make it even more dangerous since part of the cave could collapse at any moment?
Either or both. Familiarity may breed contempt, like how no-one really drives safely in bad weather. Or it might instil a "safe not sorry" attitude from youth...

Last edited: