• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Stashing my darlings

Guru Coyote

Archmage
The Dead Darlings thread and some recent discussion about working towards a specific (endig) line gave me an idea that has helped me in my current project quite a bit.

Right now I'm taking my Figurative Origami idea a bit further, and am working on a piece of flash fiction / short story length. This style means stringing one clever line after the other while still creating a compelling narrative and also making sure I don't repeat myself.

it's not so hard to come up with witty lines as such (sometimes it's actually hard to stop, but that's another story). The trick is to make them all fit together, and fit the story-line. More often than not I'll have a killer line, but it won't fit the place I'm at in the story just then.

So what I do is: just jot the line down anyway, below the current story, stashing my darlings for later use. Every time I get stuck with the narrative, I'll scroll down and see what is in store. I've even cut lines from the text I had finished and put them in the stash. Later I actually found a far better place for the particular line.

Well, sometimes darling-o-cide is overkill and a waste of skin.

The line I'm working towards? You might have guessed it: "You kill me, darling."