• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Switcheroo

I’ve been doing a lot of pantsing to try and pull myself out of a writing funk. I’ve come to care too much about my stories and characters and has become difficult to just W R I T E. So, I’ve become a reckless pantser, and I’m just writing stuff that I want to write with an off the cuff approach.

The other thing is, I have conducted I lil’ experiment whereby I take my paragraph’s and literally swap over the main two fleshy bits, and it works really well! Almost like a mirror image where you want to jump into that world where everything has been flipped. Seems to freshen it up somehow, and gets me to see how I can write in a slightly different way.

Anyone else do funky things to get yourselves out of writing flumps?

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Wow, Finch, getting a little daring there.....

Nope, that pretty much how I do it. Write it ugly, and get it down. Can always go back and make pretty...or not if what you got is already worth keeping.

It’s usually after I’ve edited and written something that I’ve considered finished that I’ve then gone and (without thinking too much about it) have switched the paragraph around - but yes, I usually also wrote ugly to begin with just to get those ideas down. Just interesting that I’m trying things that I just wouldn’t usually do

No, but my process is about 30 years old and is very refined now. I always know where I'm going and write in episodes divided into smaller chunks that always:

- kick the plot along
- answer a previous question
- raise a new question

I'm always writing notes about what happens in the road ahead and delete them as the ideas get used. But the weird thing is... for such a consummate planner as me... despite always writing towards a definite conclusion, I always have a much better idea by the time I get to the end of the first draft.

Weird, but very fulfilling.

Mad Swede

Auror
Not really. But I do have a writing process of sorts:

- write the start and the intended end
- write the key scenes in-between
- write the connecting scenes
- finalise the end
- fill in all the extra details for that added vividness

Bear in mind that I work things out in my head before I write, so I don't do any revisions once I've written.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I do liken scenes between scenes that are plot essential, and connecting scenes, but I certainly don't use the method Mad Swede suggested. I just start at the beginning, and plow through to the end, solving the problems that come up as they go. Most effective for me, is just making it a habit, and keeping my promise small (which is currently only one sentence a night).

What are finding out with your JUST write strategy?

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
I don't do anything funky, and I barely rewrite much of anything. I edit my ass off, but I don't write ugly. I have been in a mental funk... during Eve of Snows I recall cussing and sputtering while banging my head on the keyboard while writing a chapter, and I reckoned it total shit until I read it the next day and said, "Oh! That's good." I barely touched a word outside of clean-up on that chapter as I recall.

If I have a funk breaker, it's music. Throw on Eruption by Van Halen, or anything rockin' to get my blood flowing, and off I go.

I don't do anything funky, and I barely rewrite much of anything. I edit my ass off, but I don't write ugly. I have been in a mental funk... during Eve of Snows I recall cussing and sputtering while banging my head on the keyboard while writing a chapter, and I reckoned it total shit until I read it the next day and said, "Oh! That's good." I barely touched a word outside of clean-up on that chapter as I recall.

If I have a funk breaker, it's music. Throw on Eruption by Van Halen, or anything rockin' to get my blood flowing, and off I go.
I’ve definitely done it where I’ve written what I think is a load of garbage and then looked at it with fresh eyes and thought, oh that’s actually good!

I’m definitely finding more of my ‘style’ as I’m going along, more lyrical and richly descriptive, goes with my subject matter that I often write about - folklore, myth and legend in a historical context.