• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Table of contents - Rubrics

Darkgenio

Dreamer
Hi I researched a bit the concept of "Table of contents" in the middle ages, and found out about rubrics.

I wanted to ask your opinion as regards the use of the word:
Do you think using the word "Rubric" before a bulleted point index in Gothic font would make sense as a table of content for a medieval fantasy setting in a visual project (webcomic)?

Or do you think that the word should be omitted?

pmmg

Myth Weaver
That's a very specific question.

Why would I use the word Rubric, and not just have a rubric?

Rubric is sometimes used to mean an answer key. If I saw rubric, and then under it was a list, I would expect it to be something to help me translate the page, or know the answers.

Last edited:

Mad Swede

Auror
This is a very language and context dependent question. Being Swedish, if I saw the word rubric used as the name or term for a table of contents then I would know exactly what it meant, since that is the term we use in Swedish. But it probably isn't as obvious for most English speakers.

Darkgenio

Dreamer
This is a very language and context dependent question. Being Swedish, if I saw the word rubric used as the name or term for a table of contents then I would know exactly what it meant, since that is the term we use in Swedish. But it probably isn't as obvious for most English speakers.
Thanks!!

Darkgenio

Dreamer
That's a very specific question.

Why would I use the word Rubric, and not just have a rubric?

Rubric is sometimes used to mean an answer key. If I saw rubric, and then under it was a list, I would expect it to be something to help me translate the page, or know the answers.
Thanks indeed this is what I will do.

Darkgenio

Dreamer
Just sayin… nothing in the link provided makes it appear this is a word for a table of contents.
Thanks! Indeed I think I was misled by the use in the liturgical texts like the illuminated psalm, and I misinterpreted the passage that starts with "Various figurative senses..." Anyhow the doubt is solved an dI will simply omit the word