• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Taboos

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
When world building, do you give serious thought to taboos? Have you created any unusual ones?

Can you explain how to distinguish between something that is against a formal law, a taboo, and something that just "isn't done" in certain social circles? To me, the word conjures up primitive tribes and things that are forbidden that are additionally sanctioned by the tribal religion. Breaking a taboo results in death or banishment.

I hope it is not taboo to raise an old thread, but I was going to ask about this topic and did a search first.

@RedMetalHunter: I know of at least one site that makes "necroing" very taboo. But I haven't noticed that being a problem here. Mostly, it can be confusing. Earlier participants may be long gone from the site, but people coming to the thread may not realize the thread is old right away and try to engage those participants in a conversation. I hadn't noticed the date of the OP until I went back to read the latest comments and happened to see yours.

Can you explain how to distinguish between something that is against a formal law, a taboo, and something that just "isn't done" in certain social circles? To me, the word conjures up primitive tribes and things that are forbidden that are additionally sanctioned by the tribal religion. Breaking a taboo results in death or banishment.

@Skip: For me, the word signifies something that is considered quite serious by a society, something that might or might not also be backed up by law, religious doctrine, and so forth. I look at the types of punishment for severity also. Ostracization (driven from families or villages), death, beating, mutilation, enslavement, imprisonment. Modernized societies have softened the severity of actual punishment somewhat via our legal system, but the stigma can still be as strong as ever. I see taboos as having force beyond/outside the legal system; the legal system, with respect to taboos, being a mere reflection.

...Mostly, it can be confusing. Earlier participants may be long gone from the site, but people coming to the thread may not realize the thread is old right away and try to engage those participants in a conversation. I hadn't noticed the date of the OP until I went back to read the latest comments and happened to see yours.

I was a bit worried about it being confusing. Perhaps a new thread would have been best, but there was some good discussion in this one.

I'll take this one since I raised this topic from the dead.

I think formal law would separate shunned behavior from behavior that is simply not tolerated. Not eating certain foods at certain times (or at all) is much different than a crime. Though I can see a little overlap with "victimless crimes" like drug laws and gambling.

I am looking more for examples of behavior that is shunned or rejected by society or groups therein. Stuff like not eating pork to not wearing shoes indoors to no tattooing. Fantastical examples. Is it considered rude to use magic before noon on the summer solstice? One should not ride a dragon or griffin of the opposite sex?

Laurence

Inkling
I find the Adem from the Kingkiller chronicles fun to read about in their lack of taboo surrounding sex.

My WIP doesn't feature any religions with restrictions similar to any real world ones that I know of so, covet and make idols all you like.