• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Terragen

Telcontar

Staff
There's a little piece of software I play around with every now again in dull moments. It generates a piece of terrain and allows you to render it with various options - the renderings can be quite beautiful. I've used it in the past to inspire my writing, so I figure it could do the same for you.

Find it here.

There are a number of versions. I've pointed you to the latest.

Telcontar

Staff
Not sure if there's a linux version, fcbkid15.

And it's very easy to use. Press a couple of buttons and bam! - instant pretty. You can learn more about it if you want to achieve more specific results.

I might look into the free download later. I too just check out the sample images and they are pretty wicked. The look like photographs. I'm not sure how the software works or if it incorporates real images that are then adjusted, but the results are fantastic.

Telcontar

Staff
No, its a fractal-based terrain generation program. Really interesting methods - I've just started using them for my own little projects. You can incredible results with a bit of fine tuning.

Sevvie

Dreamer
Wow! Quite an impressive bit of software. What a wonderful find. :) I'm about to give this a go now. The images look really impressive.

Hans

Sage
Sounds cool. Can you download it for linux and ubuntu?
I've tried it with wine. It runs, but is a bit unstable on my system. Also all icons are missing. So it's not really fun on linux. I doubt I'll get into the depth if it like this.

Telcontar

Staff
I should mention that you could try Terragen Classic as well. It's much, much simpler. Might do better on wine.