• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever

S J Lee

Inkling
Got half way through book 1. Threw it down in disgust, the writer deliberately wanted to get rid of half his readers at this point (protagonist rapes a woman who has done him no harm, he kinda believes its all an illusion anyway). Fair play to the writer for not compromising, but I reserve the right to stop reading. I kinda admire him for being willing to do so, but I never read anything more by the writer again. Plenty other stuff out there to read!

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Yes, I read the first book when I was around 14 and a couple of books after. To be blunt, I don't remember them that well, but i do recall enjoying them as far as I got, but they started to get old.

I've read the first 7. They're pretty decent. I must say though that the first 3 were probably best, and after that they felt a bit like a rehashing of the same themes.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Yeah, I will have to go and look back to see how many read back in the day, but I recall them getting a tad stale, similar to my reaction to Wheel of Time.

EDIT: I made it at least through White Gold Wielder. Yeah, no way I made it past that. First three were the best, although it is a 40-year-old opinion heh heh.

I do recall a friend's dad being a little shocked I was reading Lord Foul's Bane at whatever age I was, heh heh.

I've read the first 7. They're pretty decent. I must say though that the first 3 were probably best, and after that they felt a bit like a rehashing of the same themes.

Last edited:

TWErvin2

Auror
I read them quite a while back, and re-read them recently (the recent time via audiobook).

The first time I had trouble getting through book 1...had to start again, but it sets up all of the other books.

The main character isn't exactly likeable, but overall it is an interesting world and tale. Some great characters and races.

The first 3 books (trilogy) are better than the second trilogy, in my opinion. I did not try the most recent series release (4 books, I think). A couple friends tried it and reported not so good. But each of the first two trilogies are full story arc tales.

Incanus

Auror
I've read all 10 books, and everything else published by Donaldson (except his books published under another name; there are three of those I know of).

Not for all tastes, but I appreciate the originality.

I highly recommend Donaldson's short story/novella collections--many of the individual stories are quite excellent. The King's Justice was one of the coolest things I'd read in a while.

He does stick to the character, especially in the first three books. The protagonist isn't likeable, but it does fit. I enjoyed the first three. As I mentioned, for the three after that I felt like I was re-reading the same thing in just a slightly different form. And the same again with book 7. Which I think explains why I never read any further than that. I could recommend the first three, but I think there are better books than the rest. Though if you enjoyed the first three then don't let me stop you. They're not bad, they're also not great.

I also read the Mordant's Need duology from Donaldson, and I found that pretty bad. The protagonist is this passive, victim who the plot simply happens to. I found myself mentally screaming at her to stop being stupid and just go actually do something for most of the books.

Gurkhal

Auror
I was thinking about reading this series further down the line but this thread made me understand that I would probably not enjoy it.

Thank you for saving me from wasting my time, money and energy. Not saying that others can't find it worthwhile but its probably not something for me.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Does not sound like something I would be interested in. Maybe, but I've a lot of other stuff to do first before trying to read it.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Lord Foul's Bane is something that—if I got the time—I'd be curious to read again to see if I like it after all these years. God knows I couldn't read Sword of Shannara again, and I loved it as a kid, LMAO.

What I remember from the writing itself is that it's pretty good. Though of course it might not have aged well. It's been 20 odd years since I read the first one I think.

It is a good case study of using an unlikeable protagonist. I think Donaldson manages that very well. Both in understanding where the character is coming from and in making me continue reading.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
I know I read some Donaldson a little later in life, post-U I think, and his writing didn't put off at that point. He is, at least, a mature writer writing for mature audiences, even if I read it when a youth. There is a lot of moral ambiguity in the character of Thomas Covenant that one can have fun with, at least as I recall. Can you forgive a leper for rape in a world he believes is a dream? How responsible are we for our dreams and subconscious? It's a deeper read than most of its contemporaries, so I might be good with it.

What I remember from the writing itself is that it's pretty good. Though of course it might not have aged well. It's been 20 odd years since I read the first one I think.

It is a good case study of using an unlikeable protagonist. I think Donaldson manages that very well. Both in understanding where the character is coming from and in making me continue reading.