• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The dictatorship of Vox

Gryphos

Auror
That would make his followers even more keen on finding corruption amongst themselves, to get rid of competitors, no matter if they are old comrades. At least one of them would primarily focus on getting rid of the others by having them accused of corruption.

And in doing so, those people would be doing a morally corrupt action. I doubt it would be long before they themselves were discovered to be morally corrupt, and dealt with accordingly. Don't get me wrong, I can certainly imagine this happening – there would indeed be those who would try to get their fellows accused, but how long would those sorts of people be able to survive in Vox's system?

Lucas

Troubadour
And in doing so, those people would be doing a morally corrupt action. I doubt it would be long before they themselves were discovered to be morally corrupt, and dealt with accordingly. Don't get me wrong, I can certainly imagine this happening – there would indeed be those who would try to get their fellows accused, but how long would those sorts of people be able to survive in Vox's system?

That is almost Pythonesque. Especially as there probably are those members of Vox's camarilla who are corrupt or treasonous (even for idealistic reasons, like believing that Vox is going too far), and how should he then be able to expose them, if those who can do the exposing are afraid to speak out?

Anyway, I believe de Robespierre is the closest analogue.

Maximilien de Robespierre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gryphos

Auror
That is almost Pythonesque. Especially as there probably are those members of Vox's camarilla who are corrupt or treasonous (even for idealistic reasons, like believing that Vox is going too far), and how should he then be able to expose them, if those who can do the exposing are afraid to speak out?

Good point there. I suppose there would be a definite possibility of Vox's camarilla containing at least one person who isn't entirely supportive of him. But that person would have to be one hell of a deceiver to gain Vox's trust and not be revealed to be morally corrupt by Vox's army of psychoanalysts (as such figures would likely be required to go through regular psychological examinations). If that person did exist, and managed to gain a position of power, they would be forever tip-toeing around, worrying about Vox's spies (because of course Vox would have all political figures monitored). For people in a position of authority, peer accusation wouldn't really be necessary. Vox is a smart guy – he wouldn't punish someone for moral corruption based purely on accusation. I think he'd probably put some extra spy/psychoanalyst monitoring on the accused party and see if any moral corruption was discovered.

Anyway, I believe de Robespierre is the closest analogue.

Fascinating stuff. I can definitely see a lot of similarities between him and Vox.