• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The Issues With Underwater Metropolitan Areas

One of the recent talks regards expanding our cities to colonize the oceans, which many find to be more feasible than colonizing another body in space. So far, we have not gone as building a permanent, metropolitan establishment, but when that comes, some issues obviously need to be addressed.

Fishing and greenhouse farming have been considered, so finding food is not a problem.

Other problems are not so straightforward to solve. In the maximum depth of 500 feet, pressure is added, perhaps close to human tolerance, so what our main facilities need is an architectural shape best suited to withstand that kind of pressure. By choosing the three basic shapes--pyramid, box and dome--which one suits maximum?

In relation, glass does not react well to added pressure, either. That's why deep-sea diving submersibles, like Alvin, have thick windows that are small in area and/or circumference. At a maximum depth of 500 feet, would a window in a permanent underwater city also need to be small and thick, too? If so, by how much?

Certain materials withstand pressure differently. Roman concrete has this unique ability to harden as it gets older and keep water out, which may explain how it has survived the past 2,000 years. Would this work in a marine city with a maximum depth of 500 feet, or would something else make for a more durable foundation?

Another problem is how to get a constant supply of oxygen. I could personally suggest planting each main facility with a chimney tall enough to break the surface, but is that feasible?

If one wants to spend the rest of his life beneath the surface, he would prefer to be dry. So how does one open and shut doors without drowning the entire corridor in the process?

The one final issue is finding fresh, drinkable water. I have no idea how that could be accomplished.

How would all those listed issues be addressed and solved?

TheKillerBs

Maester
The door issue is the simplest. You put a chamber right before the exit. The outer doors will flood this chamber when you open them, but then you just drain this chamber before opening the inner doors. Then your living space will be nice and dry.

The oxygen issue can be solved by having a system to absorb the dissolved oxygen in the water. A sort of industrial artificial gill, if you will. This would of course cause issues with the marine life, but that's civilisation for you.

I'm not sure about the fresh water supply. Desalination, perhaps?

The oxygen issue can be solved by having a system to absorb the dissolved oxygen in the water. A sort of industrial artificial gill, if you will. This would of course cause issues with the marine life, but that's civilisation for you.

I'm not sure about the fresh water supply. Desalination, perhaps?

What would this "artificial gill" look like? And how does desalination work?

TheKillerBs

Maester
However you want it to look like. The technology doesn't exist yet as far as I know. In all honesty, it would probably just be a generic factory machine. A motor, a huge cylinder with a bunch of tubes, etc.

Desalination works in several ways, all of which are complicated and none of which I truly understand enough to explain. I'm reasonably sure it would be a great option, but beyond that I don't really know. I'm sure there are good resources out there though.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Not sure I’m going to hit every question and missing bit that have already been answered.

You can go as deep as you like. Modern combat submarines go down to at least 800 ft [that’s what they’ll admit to] as a matter of course. They’ve made small craft that can go down 35,000 ft.

There are two ways to go deep.
You can go the submarine path by having near surface pressure inside a strengthened tube. The depth available is limited as the water pressure will crush things if they go too deep, or you need to make things massively strong but you don’t need to decompress to leave the vessel.
Or you can go the equal pressure route where you increase the “air” pressure inside the submarine to balance the pressure of the water. The vessels are much lighter [more like aircraft fuselages] but it requires a lot of time to enter and leave as it can ages [days?] to come to the surface and immediate change would be painful and possibly fatal. You also need to change the air and replace the nitrogen with helium.

I think little light would reach 500 ft under water so windows would be purely psychological. Humans WANT them but they don’t need them. CCTV would be far better. Add in huge TVs on the inside and you have instant “Windows”.
I’m not sure that Roman concrete is unique at being able to harden underwater, but it definitely works under water. Concrete is porous though. It hardens under water but that’s because the water seeps in and cures the mix. It would work as a foundation, its what is used on some oil seaborne oil facilities.

If I remember correctly, you can crack water in to oxygen and hydrogen [and salt] with some fairly simple chemistry.
As for access, a docking collar to another vessel like on the ISS? Or a moon pool? So you could just dive in…. If you have an equal pressure habitation the water would be just like a hole in the floor [watch The Abyss!]

A chimney or snorkel won’t work. It’s been tried on submarines. Waves choke and block it, it is vulnerable to being damaged and it would take a huge amount of energy to pump and suck the air.

I think little light would reach 500 ft under water so windows would be purely psychological. Humans WANT them but they don’t need them. CCTV would be far better. Add in huge TVs on the inside and you have instant “Windows”.
I’m not sure that Roman concrete is unique at being able to harden underwater, but it definitely works under water. Concrete is porous though. It hardens under water but that’s because the water seeps in and cures the mix. It would work as a foundation, its what is used on some oil seaborne oil facilities.

500 feet is still within the sunlit, or euphotic, zone (0-200 meters).

Saigonnus

Auror
A chimney or snorkel won’t work. It’s been tried on submarines. Waves choke and block it, it is vulnerable to being damaged and it would take a huge amount of energy to pump and suck the air.

Perhaps one might suspend the intake in the air, like from a platform (and obviously with a way to seal them in bad weather) and make the air pump wind powered, or tidal powered with a backup generator to keep it functioning 24/7.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk