• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The Most Important Aspect of Culture?

I would say that for any culture to be cultivated or to grow, the very basic needs of survival have to have already been met, and a whole system of hierarchy and structure to have been put into place. How do you think cavemen went from basic survival to painting cave art?

So as long as a group of people are not overly concerned with meeting their basic needs on a daily basis then creativity can take place which includes things like creating art, crafting, making decorative clothing, dwellings that are more than just a basic hut or hovel and maybe allocating roles for different people such as a wise one, or a shaman.

Other major influences probably include geographical location, topography and climate, and the flora and fauna.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I think this one will be hard to answer in a definitive way.

For me, I want the culture to seem like something that is a frame on which all the characters in it are formed in. Their beliefs and customs should be shared, and respected, by its participating members, and things that are outside of it should be difficult for most to accept or deal with. And it should be somewhat all encompassing, including things like their economies, religions, law giving, rules, and everyday activities. To develop this, I like to start from the roots up, and have some idea of their history, from their earliest generations to where they are today. Its not that it has to be detailed, but I like to know where they came from, and why they are where they at.

I think, for me, for a culture to seem genuine, there must be some kind of reverence, or deference, to it, in most every aspect of its participants lives. Its not just backdrop, its part of who they are. The most important aspect is that everyone one is a part of it.

Last edited:

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
This is going to sound a bit esoteric, but just from my experience and personal opinion, I'd say it's how society expects and accepts how we will act when we don't have to. I think that showing kindness when it's not required, when it's not personally beneficial, when all it accomplishes is to spread positivity, is worthy of consideration for the central pillar of culture.

This is going to sound a bit esoteric, but just from my experience and personal opinion, I'd say it's how society expects and accepts how we will act when we don't have to. I think that showing kindness when it's not required, when it's not personally beneficial, when all it accomplishes is to spread positivity, is worthy of consideration for the central pillar of culture.
This has Inspector Calls vibes.

Mad Swede

Auror
OK, do you really mean culture or do you mean a country/society as a whole?

I ask because culture is usually defined as the way of life, especially the general customs and beliefs, of a particular group of people at a particular time. Or, put another way, culture is the attitudes, behaviour, opinions, etc. of a particular group of people within society. So a fictional setting could have several different cultures in it.

For me as an author the most important aspect of culture is what it means for characterisation and the subsequent interactions between characters. I can use small differences in culture and the cultural background of characters to drive the plot forwards at the same time as I can use it as a basis for character development.

BiggusBeardus

Minstrel
The dictionary definition of culture is: the customs, arts, social institutions, and achievements of a particular nation, people, or other social group.

I think what is most important is subjective. I would interpret that above definition as saying what is the "identity" of a people.

Those people would say what is the most important part of their identity. For many cultures, it is rituals, religions, and traditions that they cling to most. But it may not be the same for all cultures.

Maybe look up some real world history about conquered/colonized people and see what they fought most to keep or what they were allowed to keep by their conquerors.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I know it's the standard, facile answer, but it's still valid: the most important aspect is whatever serves the story.

So, for example, I might contend that religion is the most important, or the type of social organization is most important. But if the story takes place within a single tribe and does not involve any disputes over religion, then neither of those are the most important aspect *for that story*.

I could submit that I'm only look for general opinions, but there we move outside the world of writing fiction--which is the focus of Mythic Scribes--and into academia or philosophy.

So I'll do what I often do here, I'll turn the question back on the poster. Carolyn what do *you* think is the most important aspect and why do you think that? And, as a follow-up, why did you ask the question?

Queshire

Istar
It gotta pass the sniff test for me. What's a day in the life for a regular citizen like? What's a festival day for them like? What do they do after an earthquake or a flood?

You don't need to have an answer for absolutely everything, but you should have the basic principles down well enough that the audience can come up with an answer they're happy with and they're not left wondering the equivalent of, "Well, what about the Klingon dentists?"

If you're asking the question from a pure worldbuilding perspective, then I agree with skip.knox . It depends on the story and what that story is focussed on. It's no use developing a complex web of foreign relations between 20 different countries that make up the continent on which the story plays out, when the story never leaves a single village. However, it's very important if you're writing about a continent spanning conflict.

If you have everyone speak galactic standard, then don't bother digging into developing a language. However, if you're writing about solving a mysterious, ancient puzzle left by the gods in a weird language, then you probably want to build at least some of that.

This goes for everything. You can't build all aspects of a culture, so don't try. Instead, focus on those areas which are important to your story. Brandon Sanderson digs into this in his lecture on world building. It's worth checking out.

One thing to keep in mind is that a culture can often have seeming contradictions in it. As our queen (who comes from argentina) once put it, the dutch are both sober and pragmatic, but they also band together and show big emotions in certain moments (just look at football supporters)...

Gurkhal

Auror
Depends on what kind of story the culture is supposed to support. If its a military story, then its military sub-culture and related topics will be the most important. If its a romance then dating and related topics will be the most important and so son. I don't think that you can say what part is the most important without knowing the story that this made up culture is supposed to support.

rubixxcube

I think something a lot of people skip over is taboo/discrimination and similar. What does the culture consider normal that is different from your 'typical' culture? What do they view as problematic? A good example would be anything relating to communism in 1950s America. Something almost everyone had opinions on, and that impacted daily life. Religion also shapes a lot of things; most languages are a variation of something from religion("Oh my goodness," bonfire, ect) and depending on the importance of religion should be considered.

LittleOwlbear

Minstrel
It's really hard to pin it down, but I may go with climate and geography. It dedicates what people eat, how they build houses, what they wear, even how their language sounds like and what kind of Gods they believe in.
Also if you are isolated because of say an ocean or mountains, you won't have much contact with other people.