• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The realm of the ancients

larryrl

Ok so first obvious noob here. got my map made of my world including waterways etc. So now how do I go about deciding mode of travel. Obviously it would not be good to have them walk everywhere, out not have boats for the waters. Also should the realm connect to earth by means of a dimensional gateway? Maybe it's in another dimension. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

TWErvin2

Auror
This is so wide open. It really depends on your world and the story you're going to tell.

Foot, ship, river boat, dragon, horseback, elephant, wagon, Pegasus, magic carpet, portals, who knows what modes of travel are to be used?

If you want a gateway between realms, that is open as well. Through spellcraft, portals, magical waterways. An example from mythology, look at the Bifrost Bridge (a rainbow bridge) that connected Asgard (realm of the gods) to Midgard (earth).

Good luck as you move forward.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
You didn't really put forth much to go on.

About the only comment I can make at this point is that civilizations tend to spread along navigable waterways - coasts and rivers. So if this is a civilized world with a high population, then yes, there will be a lot of river/coast traffic.

Roads will probably exist to connect river systems. Unless you go Roman Empire style, in which case very good stone paved roads will be found all over the place.

As to portals...I don't know. You didn't provide enough info to say.

Things to think about:

1) How large is your largest city? The ancient romans were able to keep several metropolises with around a million inhabitants each running for centuries on iron age tech...but they were very well organized and very ruthless. The larger cities in medieval times were an order of magnitude smaller.

2) Where do the cities food and water come from? For that matter, what product/trade good is each city/region noted for? Things like worked iron, cloth, raw lumber, and grain have to come from somewhere.