• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

the wind was a torrent of darkness among the gusty trees

The highwayman was first published in 1906, at the time gusty was probably an acceptable way to describe something affected by wind rather then something wind does, more like "gusted" maybe. Also in the context of the first few lines of the poem, the word doesn't grate as much. Also gusted would sound past tense and detract from the immediacy of the piece.
Also, it both isn't melodramatic ("clawing" trees, for instance; this is a high-adventure poem, not Poe) and doesn't detract from the mood ("wind-blown" would use wind again, "swaying" would sound too gentle, "undulating" would be convoluted, "dancing" would sound too cheerful...)

Feel like I'm taking the easy road here, defending one of the most popular poems of all time, but there it is.

Also, this is a great example of why critique should always be taken with a nod and a smile, but in regards to stylistic choices, in the end do what feels right.

Time has proven that this first line is perfectly fine with most people, haha.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
The highwayman was first published in 1906, at the time gusty was probably an acceptable way to describe something affected by wind rather then something wind does, more like "gusted" maybe. Also in the context of the first few lines of the poem, the word doesn't grate as much. Also gusted would sound past tense and detract from the immediacy of the piece.
Also, it both isn't melodramatic ("clawing" trees, for instance; this is a high-adventure poem, not Poe) and doesn't detract from the mood ("wind-blown" would use wind again, "swaying" would sound too gentle, "undulating" would be convoluted, "dancing" would sound too cheerful...)

Feel like I'm taking the easy road here, defending one of the most popular poems of all time, but there it is.
I've got a lovely version of "The Highwayman," performed by Loreena McKinnett. Very emotionally evocative.