• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

This is where I admit I like kid's shows

Tanihatu

Scribe
Kids shows are brilliant for developing ideas. My daughter and i often watch the toons together. Particular faves include Phineas and Ferb, Galactic Football, Slugterra etc. Even Pokemon throws up the odd idea now and then........sort of.

In looking back to what i watched, the ones that stick out include Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, He-Man, Battle of the Planets, Centurions....

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Kids shows are brilliant for developing ideas.

I'm going to second that. They get outside the box.

I mentioned Beast Wars, which was a transformers show set in the past. They did a brilliant thing in the first episode and released a bunch of stasis pods into the atmosphere, which fall one by one throughout the series. Every time a stasis pod lands, there's a race to decide if the character inside it is a good guy or reprogrammed as a bad guy. In a setting that starts with only 8 characters, that's an awesome idea that definitely inspired a few ideas for me.

It was a clever trick. A compromise between the Great Gods Of Toy Marketing and one of the most dramatic ideas I've ever seen TV pull:

Think about how many TV episodes are built around the guest character and two or three witnesses, victims, minor folks and all (and those are usually the more disposable eps). And yet this show had exactly 10 sentient beings on the planet plus a snails-pace plan for increasing them or very rarely letting a guest in. Everything you know about drama gets afterburners.