1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Tik Tok

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by Ned Marcus, Mar 15, 2022.

Do you use Tik Tok for marketing your books?

1. Yes, and I give away free stories, too.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, I'm a Book Tokker.

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. No, but I'm interested.

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  4. No way!

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  5. What is Tik Tok?

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Ned Marcus

Ned Marcus Inkling

An author put her fantasy novel (which she self-published two years previously) up on Tik Tok for free, ended up getting a huge amount of attention, a book deal, and a film deal. Yes, I know she's won the book lottery. Here's the Daily Mail article about it.

Does anyone here use Tik Tok? Publish stories for free there?

2. JGCully

JGCully Scribe

This is strangely relevant as I have just registered with TikTok to give it a go.

Not expecting the same level of success as our Daily Mail mentioned comrade but going to give it a go!

I intend to post up progress and maybe the odd extract / quote, and see what happens?

Ned Marcus likes this.
  3. Ned Marcus

Ned Marcus Inkling

Me too. Perhaps we can share some ideas in the future.

JGCully likes this.
  4. JGCully

JGCully Scribe

That would be very much appreciated.

I feel like a pilgrim entering an unholy land!

5. pmmg

pmmg Istar

Actually, i do know what tik tok is, i dont think its for me. I dont trust tik tok. The Chinese are probably using it to spy.

i have a plan though. Its called ‘finish the damn thing and hope someone buys it!’ So far its gotten me two pieces of art and 0 dollars. Im still working on ‘finish the damn thing’.

6. Ned Marcus

Ned Marcus Inkling

This made me laugh. And it's true, that is how many people see it.

JGCully likes this.
  7. Ned Marcus

Ned Marcus Inkling

Finishing is always the best plan.

But after that, you need marketing. Tik Tok's an app for short videos (15s is common). Some of the stuff would probably make you insane. But there's a community of Book Tokkers talking about books. That's the part I'm interested in.

Tik Tok comes from dance and song videos, and this seems to seep into everything. It looks like it could be fun.

About China!!! Yes, I'm sure they collect all the data they can. I don't really trust any of the big social media sites, and in China it's worse because the government can take anything they want from any company. Where I live, government workers are banned from using Zoom because of this fear.

It's just a choice we have to make.

8. Puck

Puck Minstrel

I suspect the fact that the TikTok video featured a doggy helped. Stuff with animals in always does well.

LieutenantWolf34 likes this.
  9. Demesnedenoir

Demesnedenoir Istar

I joined Tik Tok a while back but haven't gotten around to doing anything with it. I tend to be free-averse.

JGCully likes this.
  10. JGCully

JGCully Scribe

Well I'm giving TikTok a go. It's...weird. Plenty of authors and readers on but just not sure if I'll be able to leverage it for marketing. I'll keep trying!

Demesnedenoir likes this.
  11. Demesnedenoir

Demesnedenoir Istar

I'm curious about it, but I've heard a lot of pros and cons, and how you want so a video so often and blah blah blah. That might drive me nuts.