• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Tik Tok

Do you use Tik Tok for marketing your books?

• Yes, and I give away free stories, too.

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Yes, I'm a Book Tokker.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • No, but I'm interested.

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • No way!

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • What is Tik Tok?

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters
This was exactly what I thought when I looked into it. I suspect Instagram is similar, too.
Yes instagram definitely seems similar, although I’m not really involved in the book side of instagram. I would assume it has a slightly more diverse reach since it spans generations much more evenly than TikTok does.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Some of the stuff I've seen isn't that far from the old Penthouse letters my friends would read aloud and we would laugh at for being so damned fake. Now it's the women folk digging the naughty groove, heh heh.
When I get the big story finished, I will move on to Penthouse letters and get some sales. Is penthouse even still around? Or did the internet kill them off?

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
I'm sure they survived in the digital space, people are happier to pay for naughty than a good book, heh heh. Whether they thrived or not, I have no clue. Seems like the scumbag owner had some legal issues some time back, but I could be confusing him with somebody else.

When I get the big story finished, I will move on to Penthouse letters and get some sales. Is penthouse even still around? Or did the internet kill them off?

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I'm sure they survived in the digital space, people are happier to pay for naughty than a good book, heh heh. Whether they thrived or not, I have no clue. Seems like the scumbag owner had some legal issues some time back, but I could be confusing him with somebody else.
Well... I dont wish to dwell on the fate of the mag.

I just wonder how any would stay afloat when the internet gives so much for free.

I am sure, Mr. Flint is dead. I dont know who owns it now.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
That's right, old Flinty died. I vaguely recall that.
Well... I dont wish to dwell on the fate of the mag.

I just wonder how any would stay afloat when the internet gives so much for free.

I am sure, Mr. Flint is dead. I dont know who owns it now.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
The fewer forms of social media I have to navigate, the better. Opening instagram once a week and keeping my decade-dead facebook account just so I don't have to write down birthdays is the most I currently do. For marketing, I hope an article here and there and word of mouth will cultivate the small, niche audience I desire.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Actually, i do know what tik tok is, i dont think its for me. I dont trust tik tok. The Chinese are probably using it to spy.

i have a plan though. Its called ‘finish the damn thing and hope someone buys it!’ So far its gotten me two pieces of art and 0 dollars. Im still working on ‘finish the damn thing’.
I always find this concern a little funny, as here in Europe we've already had to worry about the Americans harvesting our information. After all, it's not as if Meta and Google have ever been averse to a little 007ing. Glad the laws are growing more robust on this front.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I always find this concern a little funny, as here in Europe we've already had to worry about the Americans harvesting our information. After all, it's not as if Meta and Google have ever been averse to a little 007ing. Glad the laws are growing more robust on this front.

The harvesting of information is actually the smallest part of any concern I would have. I just did not post the rest as it would become political.

However, if Europe wishes to be concerned with US companies and data, they are free to make their own call that.

China do consistently try to spy all the time, especially where US intelligence is concerned. It’s no secret. That is one thing that turns me away from TikTok too - but it’s much the same concern with any social media especially Meta.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Harvesting data is everybody's gig, and for marketing and advertising, I kind of shrug even if I don't like it, but the trouble comes when gov't accesses the data or businesses use the data in more nefarious ways. And, of course, in China, the state owns the businesses even if not on paper, because they'll just disappear a CEO if they become inconvenient, heh heh. I've been to China twice, no way in the world I would think I was having a private conversation online even 14 years ago. The more recent trip? Ha ha ha. No.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Its common practice among many firms to use throw away laptops and devices when visiting china (literally throw them away or wipe them completely when returning). Never bring anything you don't want their spyware on. China is not a good faith partner.

LittleOwlbear

Minstrel
On the one hand I like booktok, especially the people I follow who are more about queer fantasy / romantasy and books you don't hear about so often.

On the other hand, it limits reader experience a lot. I do love these genres, but lot of these books are written to fulfill certain trends, I think fast fashion for reading is a very fitting term, and certain popular tropes. Fulfilling certain tropes for your reader doesn't make a good book per se and even Thalia / other huge companies have their own booktok sections, it limits the reader experience a lot, imo.

Also almost every fantasy and romantasy I read, popularized by booktok, was just really toxic. Sarah J. Maas is the queen of that lol.

Even if I had to do marketing, I dunno...