• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Travelling

Lavender

Minstrel
My characters do a lot of long distance travelling from one place to another and in some instances, something relevant to the plot happens along the way - on other occasions, nothing of note occurs and it is this I'm having trouble with.
I don't want these parts of the story to seem rushed but at the same time there's no use in me detailing a lot about a journey where nothing interesting happens. When I write these parts, the story doesn't seem to flow properly or it seems as though I've just quickly got past a section of the story to get to the next. Does that make sense?
How can I effectively demonstrate that my characters are moving on to a new location without encountering these problems?

Sevvie

Dreamer
I've seen in some stories where they effectively achieve it by pointing out small details of the terrain they pass, what kind of weather they've been stuck in, and hardships, rations low, etc. This tends to make a good, brief description to let the reader know that they're traveling far, with nothing terribly significant happening, but not just warping from one point to another.

Lavender

Minstrel
Thanks for the advice, Sevvie. That is generally what I do and it's good to know someone else thinks that approach is suitable - although sometimes I'm still not happy with it and feel it comes across as rushed. I might consider adding more detail when I write about the character's travelling and see if that makes a difference - good idea?

Thanks again :)

Sevvie

Dreamer
What you might try to do is write like a quick short story that uses far distance travel like you would in your more serious works, but have two different version. Have one that is more simple that you think still gets the point accross, and then try writing a more drawn out version. Then post both versions, or show them to people and ask them which they prefer. Or ask different questions, whether either felt rushed, or too "teleporty" (XD Sorry, I wanted to use a silly fake word)

I think that when a long distance is covered and you find that nothing of importance will take place, this is a great time to throw in revealing dialogue. Mention perhaps that the characters are near some historic landmark or another, describe just a tidbit of the setting, then let your character speak of something important or revealing.

Motley

Minstrel
I tend to believe that if nothing of importance takes place on the journey, it should feel rushed. Who wants to read about a long journey where nothing happens? This is when "show, don't tell" gets chucked out the window.

You can give hints as to the passage of time by the condition of the travelers, pack animals and mounts (or cars, etc.) when they arrive at their destination.