• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Dangers of Travelling At Night

ShadeZ

Maester
I have 2 characters who are traveling and are trying to avoid running into others as they travel such as raiders as well as simply others as they could be recognized as possibly wanted individuals. Would their be any particular disadvantages to night travel? Their species are a form of elf that has night vision so they can see just as well at night as during the day. There are not lycanthropic beasts in this world, however naturally occurring predators maybe more active at night? One of the two is a nocturnal species.

What’s the terrain they are moving through like and how well do they know that terrain? What beasts would roam said terrain? You’re the creator, make it as perilous or as safe as you like.

Elf or not, it’s often called ‘under the cover of darkness’ for a reason, the dark can conceal - advantage.

Many predators come out at night - disadvantage.

Elven race is often familiar with wooded / forested areas, does this pose an advantage.

It can be cooler at night, so depending on the climate, could be either an advantage or disadvantage.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
We did it in the army all the time. One oddity I discovered, and I don't know why, but in the day, running into sticker bushes was common, at night, we never seemed to walk into them.

But there would be a lot of disadvantages. Nighttime predators for one, not being able to see things like pot holes and fallen over trees. If one was to twist an ankle or fall in a hole, it would be harder to deal with. Its hard not to make a lot of noise at night, and any light source is a dead giveaway. Crossing rivers and streams has extra difficulty, it would be easy for one to get swept away and never seen again.

Also...fatigue and lack of sleep would lead to difficulty in the day as well. If one is sleeping in the day, there are also day time predators to worry about.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
It sounds like vision isn't an issue. Night predators, but also enemies could be a problem. Most settlements would regard night travelers with suspicion.

I presume your elves sleep during the day, which could present certain difficulties.

But you're the one who knows your world. Spend a few days worth your elves. Walk at their side. Find food and water with them. Do they have a pack animal? Do they enter a town? Etc. You'll find lots of ideas.

K.S. Crooks

Maester
Travelling at night often requires a light source to be used. This may cause the travelers to stand out as the only light in the darkness. Also if they travel using animals, like horses, having adequate moon light is key.