• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Trope Maps

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Apparently this is a thing, lately, and today I learned how to make one in Canva! A few of my friends in Romance are doing these and it looks to be very useful for Fantasy and Science Fiction as well.

This is the YouTube video that helped me the most.

And this is the Trope Map I made. It's fun, looks good, and catches the eye.
Faerie Rising Trope Map 082823.jpg

I just learned about these recently as well. Have you tried it in an ad already? How did it perform?

I can see why it would attract some types of readers, and it's a nice change of pace from other ads which usually go very minimalistic on words. If it works then it's definitely a nice extra tool to have in your bag.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
I agree. Everyone I know is totally squee over them, and I can see why. They're both tantalizing and charming. But no, no ads yet. Our ad budget has always been skimpy at best. We've gotten this far pretty much on personality alone. :D But I would certainly love to see how these do out and about the reading world. They're still very new, as far as I'm aware, but they're gaining in popularity quickly. We're actually on-trend for once! lol

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Hot off the presses. It's 6am my time and I'm making promo materials. I need more coffee and maybe a mallet to the head so I sleep.

Ties of Blood and Bone Trope Map 082923.jpg

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
One of the really lovely things about this is that you can make really fantastic covers with Canva, too. One of my FB friends did this, and then animated it!

The Flames of Lethe - Lexie Talionis.jpg

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I have Canva on my Home PC, and recently suggested it to Finch. But...I plan to have someone else to the cover. I'm just working on the insides.

Very lovely indeed.

And I can imagine that at 6am you either need coffee or a bed to sleep in...

The cover for Flames of the Lethe is lovely. Really does the job of making me curious about the book!

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Very lovely indeed.

And I can imagine that at 6am you either need coffee or a bed to sleep in...

The cover for Flames of the Lethe is lovely. Really does the job of making me curious about the book!
Thank you so much, my Prince! Lexie is also just a brave and lovely person. Deeply bent, but so am I. :D

Now I have to share the third one, because I'm a completionist and I a little stuck on the chapter I'm navigating right now. lol

Beneath a Stone Sky Trope Map 082923.jpg

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Thank you so much, my Prince! Lexie is also just a brave and lovely person. Deeply bent, but so am I. :D

Now I have to share the third one, because I'm a completionist and I a little stuck on the chapter I'm navigating right now. lol

View attachment 3558
This one works best in my opinion. The colouring is pleasant to look at and the terms are more evocative. "So many dwarves"and "Here there be dragons" have some humour to them, which makes them work better than the single word blurbs found in the previous two maps. As a format I think these things are most useful as a quick, fun way to lure people in, so while I would include some of the heavier topics you've added, sprinkling in the jovial aspects catches the eye more. The real description you're sure to have on your store page can bring the needed nuance.

I think yours look great Lowan. I’ve seen a lot within the YA genre, and I think that they serve well for that audience because then you can work with trends, something for a younger reader to identify with. Popular tropes / genres such as ‘dark academia’ or ‘enemies to lovers’ that sort of thing. Can work incredibly well, a quick way to engage readers. I’m not sure that they would attract me as a reader but you had me at ‘save the kitten’. 😄

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
I think those are really excellent points, Ban. I'll rattle my partners' cages and see what falls out, idea-wise. :D Thanks! <3

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
I think this revised version works better. There's enough that might pique the intended audience's interest. "Harley-riding faerie knight" is a unique selling point, and "hot guys" is nice and cheeky. I think "addiction" and "scars" is enough to inform whoever clicks on it that they shouldn't expect pure comedy and that there is drama involved.

It's funny how much we manage to get done because we're procrastinating on something else... ;)

I think I like the second iteration for Faery Rising better as well. Though the funny thing is that it's sometimes hard to judge what actually works with a broad audience. If I was to use them in an ad, I'd just use both and let the audience decide which one was best...

I can see why they work for some genres. Romance for instance has some very clear niches, and avid readers who only want to read within that very specific niche. It works great to attract those readers. They might work a bit less good for a broader audience, who just want a good book. Though "here be dragons" should always do the trick...